Effect of cleaning/detailing products on paved driveway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Potentially silly question: I'm looking to start washing/minor detailing at home now that the weather is getting warmer. Do cleaning soaps or other products have a negative effect on paved driveways?

I'd imagine just rinsing things well should pose no issue, but I'd hate to have some ugly waxy stain or worse after doing this all in the driveway a few times.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I'd be more concerned about the grass that's next to the driveway
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ good thinking
Jay

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stay away from engine degreasers, tire shine products and dont spill
waxes/sealants, and you should be fine with others.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My driveway takes a pounding. But I’d rather a clean truck. Degreasers will wreak havoc on your driveways, tire shine and wax will stain it. At least collinite 845 will. I apply tire shine on the road.

Also, after you’re done washing use the bucket water and splash it on your driveway after you’re done and helps rinse it off a little.

I use the two bucket method and usually have a good amount of rinse water left so that’s what I use.

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights.

OP
OP
1500canoe

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My driveway takes a pounding. But I’d rather a clean truck. Degreasers will wreak havoc on your driveways, tire shine and wax will stain it. At least collinite 845 will. I apply tire shine on the road.

Also, after you’re done washing use the bucket water and splash it on your driveway after you’re done and helps rinse it off a little.

That's what I was worried about. The pavement/asphalt/blacktop is full of oils or oil-like materials, and any soaps etc would seem to at least possibly affect it.

I think I may test anything that I'm worried about on a small area along the edge. Acidic tire and wheel cleaner, Iron-X, etc. worry me a bit. Collinite shouldn't be an issue so long as it isn't spilled (I park in a garage and would likely apply it inside).

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have a detailing business i run out of my home and its mobile, i use heavy degreasers and all of that, the degreasers will stain, Kinda...

what happens is my driveway looks perfect when dry, but when its wet, then you can see where the degreaser has been in contact with the driveway, but like i said when its dry, you cant see anything and i wash my trucks and customer trucks all the time...

you will want to keep degreasers from directly spraying into the grass, it will kill it, but runoff from rinsing it off the vehicle and down the driveway wont hurt the grass...

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
these are "low res" versions of captures from my security cameras but here is a picture of my driveway dry, yes its dirty because i haven't pressure washed it in about 8 months so its due but no stains from my cleaners, a few oil stains from guest who dont know not to park leaking cars in my driveway but still

Driveway stain2.jpg

Then here is the wet picture where you can see what i call the "wet stains" that show up only when my driveway is wet

Driveway stain.jpg

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Also, when spraying rags with interior detailer and things like quick detailers it’s will all fall as a fine mist on your driveway and won’t notice it till it’s dry. My driveway looks like hell around September. In the spring I just get someone to coat my driveway or I do it. Not a big deal. I don’t have concrete so I’m not that worried about it.

Clean truck to me far outweighs a dirty driveway

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights.

Burnstork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I used tire shine several times while parked on my driveway. All okay until the rains came. When the cement is wet the areas where the tire shine product landed show up bright white against the contrasting (wet) dark gray driveway. Now I shine my tires on blacktop at a shopping center lot. No staining on blacktop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk