EGT/ trans temp redlines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
Hey guys-

Just got my 2nd Ram, an 05 quad cab diesel. Wondering what the EGT and transmission temperatures should be limited to. I have the Smarty programmer and EGT/trans/boost gauges. I'm familiar w t he redlines that we're place for my 00 Excursion diesel, but not for this motor.

The trans is fully billet (flex plate, both shafts, etc).

Any help is appreciated!

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've asked the same question.
couple guys came back with around 1200o for EGT, but I haven't heard anything on the tranny yet.
Very interested in hearing some more feedback on this.

OP
OP
Detroitfd

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
I do remember that egt was higher than the power stroke, and power stroke was 1250. Just don't remember specifics.

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K well I guess we will wait and see what some of these guys with experience have to say.
I guess I should have made my original post title say "At what EGT does Cummins melt at?" LOL

OP
OP
Detroitfd

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
Anyone?

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok just got back from H&S website where I found this.
FAQ's
They say rule of thumb is to keep it under 1500o, but start being cautious when getting over 1350o for more than a short period of time.

Last edited:

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I read somewhere that the 6.7's can handle more heat because they are designed to run DPF's.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys-

Just got my 2nd Ram, an 05 quad cab diesel. Wondering what the EGT and transmission temperatures should be limited to. I have the Smarty programmer and EGT/trans/boost gauges. I'm familiar w t he redlines that we're place for my 00 Excursion diesel, but not for this motor.

The trans is fully billet (flex plate, both shafts, etc).

Any help is appreciated!

heres the thing with gauges, it all depends on where you mount your sending unit. thats kind of what makes it hard for someone to tell you dont go above a certain number, and whats normal temp.

Turblown03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always had my sending unit in the manifold and never kept it over 1250 for long periods of time, like towing or pulling a long hill. I've also seen the pyro hit 1500 but it was just in a stop light to light amount of time. Never had a turbo issue and I was at 500 hp & 1100 ftlbs.

If you mount the sending unit in the DP the turbo cools the exhaust temps by a lot and you'll never get a very accurate reading.

Just my .02 though lol

O, and I'm pretty sure Mopar+4 trans fluid is good to 240 degrees. If you're pushing those temps you'll probably want a bigger cooler.