electrical issue on 1987 w100

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Moparkid, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Moparkid

Moparkid Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    La small block 318
    Hello forum, looking for some advice on my 1987 dodge w100. i am currently having a few electrical issue that are keeping this truck off the road, and will need some help finding a solution.
    the first issue is with the headlights. i have installed new replacement bulbs everywhere on this truck. all of the lights work as they should, all but the headlamps themselves. i have checked the fuse box (i could only locate a box located under the steering column) and no blown fuses that i could see.

also, the wiper/washer system does not currently work. i am unsure what the source of this issue is, as a faint buzzing sound can be heard when i turn on the wipers, but the wipers do not move at all. no noise noticed when i engage the washers.

also, on a side note, what would be the best way to wire in a CB radio? i have an old cb and an antenna that was installed by the previous owner, unsure how best to approach that situation.

thanks!

2. Dan70

Dan70 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Have you checked the fuseable links on the driver side wheel well?

have you tried lightly tapping the wiper motor with a hammer while its on? Is it getting enough voltage?

As far as a cb most of the ones i've ever seen are wired to the batter. Is it going to be a single whip or dual? The front bed corners are the most common places to mount an antenna.

3. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    have you checked the dimmer switch? that is a common thing that will stop the head lights on these trucks from working.

if the radio is working then i think the fusible link should be fine since i think the radio and wipers share a fusible link. i would possibly look at cleaning the ground connections on the wiper motor. they are a known problem. also does the truck have delayed wipers? if the module is dead the wipers may stop working.