electrical problem after OBDII plug came apart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a good one. 02 quad cab 4.7 4x4.
I replaced an O2 sensor over the weekend, reconnected the battery and hooked up my code reader to clear the CEL, I turned the ignition switch to on but the code reader didn't energize. I disconnected the reader at the plug and the OBDII connector came completely apart on the truck side. When it did two wires shorted and now I have an interesting situation.
Prior to this happening when the drivers door is opened the interior lights came on and the odometer would light up showing the mileage on the truck, now that doesn't happen. Also my radio is now not working. I did carefully put the OBDII plug back together until I can replace it.
Here's the interesting part, I put the key in the ignition, turn on or even start the truck and everything but the radio works. I've checked every fuse in the fuse box under the hood and they are good. The truck runs and drives just fine as well.
I'm going to spend some time today checking relays for grins and giggles and also look for another fuse panel under the dash.
I'm wondering if the short damaged something in the cluster and is causing my problem. Any ideas?
I'm going to get a junkyard OBDII connector and solder it into my harness because I need to get my emissions done at the end of this month.

OP
OP
D

devans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never mind I found it. There are some odd looking fuse holders in the fuse panel that kind of don't look like fuses. They hold the spade type fuse inside themselves.
For information purposes it's fuse number 51 and is a 20 amp fuse.
I hope this can be of use to someone else down the road.