Electrical system dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surveyor65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning folks. I'm new here and haven't searched all the forums yet, so forgive me if this has already been answered. Here's my issue:

I recently purchased an '07 2500 quad cab 4X4 with a 5.7L Hemi. It has a few issues, but nothing too major...until the night before last. I drove it home from work, like any other evening, and parked it. My wife asked me to take our girls to 4H, so I go outside, in a mini downpour, get in, put the key in the ignition and try to start my truck. As soon as the key turned, everything electrical died. After waiting for anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 hours, the electrical system comes back on, only to die again when I try to start the truck. I figured it was a bad ignition switch, which I confirmed with a mechanic buddy, so I bought a new one and replaced it last night. Before putting the housing back on the steering column, I gave it a try....same thing happened. I checked the wires in the steering column and none of them seem to be rubbed raw or bare. Is it possible I bought a new ignition switch that was bad? Or do I need to prepare for a game of "Chase the Electrical Issue Throughout the Entire Wiring Harness?"

Thanks for any help.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a same issue a week ago.
Stop at the gas station to get oil, back in the car, turned the key and a relay clack and dead.
I disconnected the battery cable for 30 seconds, reconnected and everything turned normal.
Have you checked your battery or better swaped it with a known good?
Chris

jeffstoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are describing a bad battery connection. It can supply enough juice for the interior lights but under starter load the voltage drops to zip. It could also be the battery with internal problems. A bad internal connection between cells will produce the same symptoms. Start by checking and cleaning the terminals. Make sure they are tight. Have you tried a jump from another vehicle to see if it is anything beyond a battery problem?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk