electricle help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grinderhockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Aproblem started not that long ago. when I turn the switch on the dash to turn my lights off. The headlights turn off but everything else stays on. My truck has fog lights which you have to pull the swith out to turn the lights on. However my problem is all running lights and the fog lights stay on. This issue drained my battery once and I unplugged the fog lights from the wiring harness. The ding when you leaves the lights on sound is also on while the lights are on also the indicator light by the switch is lit up. It acts like the lights are not turned off but the head lights are off but all other lights on. please any advice will help. I was thinking the switch was bad like it is still letting power go out to the lights.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
you can check the relay, it may be stuck. pull the fuse then check continuity one should be always open and the other should be always closed. if they both beep then your relay is bad.

if the relay checks out test the switch in the dash.

OP
OP
G

grinderhockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
no after market fog lights, I was running errands this morning started up fine when i left. after my first stop i got back in and pick up wouldnt start seems to have drained the battery. I made sure when i got out all my switches were off.

05 singlecab hemi how would i go about checking the switch?

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
no after market fog lights, I was running errands this morning started up fine when i left. after my first stop i got back in and pick up wouldnt start seems to have drained the battery. I made sure when i got out all my switches were off.

05 singlecab hemi how would i go about checking the switch?

same way. check continuity to the switch. have the switch turned off and see if it is staying connected even though it is off. one thing with continuity, make sure there is no power. so if you have to remove the battery.
in the mean time you could keep a wrench with you and every time you get out of the truck just remove the battery cables.

OP
OP
G

grinderhockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
ok i pulled the relay and tested for continuity what happened was there are six posts on the relay three sets of two terminals, two of the three show closed and one set show open.

i also pulled the switch and same thing two of the three sets of terminals show closed and one open but i can get the last set to close if i connect the positive lead on the tester to the first two terminals on the switch.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ok i pulled the relay and tested for continuity what happened was there are six posts on the relay three sets of two terminals, two of the three show closed and one set show open.

i also pulled the switch and same thing two of the three sets of terminals show closed and one open but i can get the last set to close if i connect the positive lead on the tester to the first two terminals on the switch.

im wondering if its the relay. though i didnt know it was a 6 poll one so im not sure. Is there another relay that looks the same? try replacing it and see if that solves the issue.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
OPERATION
The multiplexed headlamp switch has an off, parking
lamp, fog lamp and a headlamp on position. High
beams are controlled by the multiplexed multifunction
switch on the steering column. The fog lamps
are illuminated by pulling back on the headlamp
switch knob when in the parking lamp or headlamp
ON position.The headlamp switch cannot be
repaired. It must be replaced.
The Instrument Cluster monitors the headlamp
and multifunction switch operation. When the headlamp
switch is rotated to the parking lamp or On
position the Instrument Cluster sends a J1850 message
to the Front Control Module, which is mated to
the power distribution center to become the Integrated
Control Module, to illuminate the appropriate
bulbs. When the multifunction switch is activated to
the optical horn or high beam position the Instrument
Cluster illuminates the high beam indicator
and sends a J1850 message to the Front Control
Module to illuminate the appropriate bulbs.

Keep in mind the FCM uses sense signals to activate the various circuits such as headlights and fogs. I would recommend you download the service manual to help with trouble shooting.