Electronic Assisted Power Steering Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 35,500 mile the power steering started to act up. The steering wheel was very stiff for the 1st 15 degrees of a turn, then loosen up to normal, and then stiff again as you continued to turn the wheel. When you turned the wheel, it would not return. So as you went around a bend, you'd better be prepared to straighten the wheel... As it started to happen it would come and go, but as it warmed up it would be normal. that was up until now as its acting up all the time now.

I first checked for a recall... there was a similar issue with a few steering racks, but my vin was not part of the recall.

Mileage continues to climb... now up to 36,500. Called the warranty dept., was told they needed an authorization work order from a dealer before they could get involved.

Got an appointment at the local dealer, took it in and was told sorry we over booked and you bring it in next week... mileage now up to almost 37,000... Took it back in today (now mileage over 37,200.) and asked if I could get a ride to my office as it's just down the street. The warranty manager offered... I mentioned we should take my truck so he could see first hand the issue... I explain to him I've brought the truck there to have the steering looked at... he pulls out onto the road and was like HOLY CRAP what's wrong with the steering... I again explain I believe it's the Electronic Assisted Power Steering failing. He was shocked... I also threw in that I believe it's a safety hazard... that I can't allow anyone but me to drive the truck ...
i_rolleyes.gif

Just received a call from the dealer... yes it's the Electronic Assisted Power Steering Rack that needs replaced... was told even though you are over your warranty mileage, we're going to complete the repairs under the warranty...
smiley_thumbs_up.gif

I priced the parts from Dodge... minimum $1,500 plus labor, so at least $2,000.... to replace the steering rack.

Thanks God they honored the warranty or it could have gotten ugly...

An appointment has been scheduled to have the steering pack replaced, with a front end alignment. I'll report back after the repair.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have a good dealer.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's scheduled to go under the knife tomorrow. One fuill day to replace the rack, and realign the front end. I'll report back as to the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've read they "believe" it's the internal electronic circuit board that's failed. I dropped off the truck this morning. when I pick it up tonight, I'll ask if they know what the culprit is.

When it started to happen, the first thing I did was look for a recall... I found the same recall listed above. i called and was told my VIN was not part of the recall, less then 500 trucks were effected.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
At 35,500 mile the power steering started to act up. The steering wheel was very stiff for the 1st 15 degrees of a turn, then loosen up to normal, and then stiff again as you continued to turn the wheel. When you turned the wheel, it would not return. So as you went around a bend, you'd better be prepared to straighten the wheel... As it started to happen it would come and go, but as it warmed up it would be normal. that was up until now as its acting up all the time now.

I first checked for a recall... there was a similar issue with a few steering racks, but my vin was not part of the recall.

Mileage continues to climb... now up to 36,500. Called the warranty dept., was told they needed an authorization work order from a dealer before they could get involved.

Got an appointment at the local dealer, took it in and was told sorry we over booked and you bring it in next week... mileage now up to almost 37,000... Took it back in today (now mileage over 37,200.) and asked if I could get a ride to my office as it's just down the street. The warranty manager offered... I mentioned we should take my truck so he could see first hand the issue... I explain to him I've brought the truck there to have the steering looked at... he pulls out onto the road and was like HOLY CRAP what's wrong with the steering... I again explain I believe it's the Electronic Assisted Power Steering failing. He was shocked... I also threw in that I believe it's a safety hazard... that I can't allow anyone but me to drive the truck ...
i_rolleyes.gif

Just received a call from the dealer... yes it's the Electronic Assisted Power Steering Rack that needs replaced... was told even though you are over your warranty mileage, we're going to complete the repairs under the warranty...
smiley_thumbs_up.gif

I priced the parts from Dodge... minimum $1,500 plus labor, so at least $2,000.... to replace the steering rack.

Thanks God they honored the warranty or it could have gotten ugly...

An appointment has been scheduled to have the steering pack replaced, with a front end alignment. I'll report back after the repair.
Love how you handled. Stay loyal to that dealer. Glad to hear the outcome.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad they got you taken care of........had mine replaced twice. Mine wasn’t doing what yours was doing but it was replaced and after the instal the new one was doing the same thing as my original......fun couple of days at the dealer!

OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm back to report that I have good news and bad news...

New steering rack installed, including alignment... :banana-mario: Bad news, its still acting up... not quite as bad, but still not right. :banghead: Next they are going to replace the steering stem thinking a universal has seized. Almost, but yet so far... :Big Laugh:

At first they tried to blame the lift... I shut that BS down pretty quick.. I've put over 15k miles on it with the lift without issue. The lift keeps the steering is in the factory location, with the factory geometry. The steering rack is untouched with the lift. The replacement knuckles keep the tie-rods in the factory position. After I gave the Service Manager the facts, he agreed it's not the lift... the only thing left is the steering stem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
An appointment for Friday has been made to have the intermediate steering shaft replaced. I will also be discussing the tire alignment they did.. now the steering wheel is not straight, and the truck pulls to the right... yes I will make sure I'm satisfied before I sign off on the repairs...

OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
GOOD NEWS!!! Its been fixed. The steering stem had a bad universal joint. It was so bad they even saved it to show me... The alignment has been corrected and the steering wheel in in the center... All fixed under warranty. I am a happy satisfied customer.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad to hear of a good outcome, enjoy that ride