engine fire need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
so this morning I started the truck as normal walk back into the house and then there's smoke coming out of the engine bay. Needless to say it was too late after I finally got the garden hose and put the fire out. pretty much anything in the engine bay is toast. Windshield pop, top of the dash burned and a little of the headliner. I'm not too concerned about the interior as much as I am about the engine bay. My question is what donor trucks and years should I be looking for to be able to replace practically everything in the engine bay. my truck is a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 5.9 L Magnum V8, manual transmission. There are lots of 1500 pickups around but I'm assuming those parts would not be the same, harness, relay boxes etc. truck was on liability insurance since it's been paid off years ago. and going and buying a brand new one like this is not an option for my business. Any help is greatly appreciated

123951.jpg

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Also if anyone could post a picture of there engine bay so I can at least have a idea of some components that are missing thanks

123952.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry to see that... I'm wondering if it might be easier to graft your bed/dually setup onto another 1 ton. maybe find one with rear end damage even cheaper. I'm afraid that while it could be done, it's gonna be a TON of work to repair that truck and not cheap.

That engine bay is a complete write-off. There will be nothing outside the block that's salvageable (if even that), not to mention brakes, steering & suspension, electrical/wiring, vacuum system, heating/HVAC, bodywork... ouch.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
^this, it would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it, there’s plenty of wrecked 3500, just need to find one that was a rear wreck, even if it wasn’t a cab n chassis setup, the cabs and motors are the same.

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yeah been searching, just have more 1500 then anything. Most of the fire or heat was concentrated up top before it was put out, no hvac system to begin with so no worries, and paint and body are not a concerned. As far as engine its a gas not a Cummins so it can't set me back much. My primary concern is finding all the wiring and which years would be best near 2002, 97 98 99 00 etc which could best matching for this 3500. I assume a 2500 would be the same? As long as the truck has a 5.9 wont most components all be the same? Thanks

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mmm yeah, I go to several junkyards on a regular basis, I have yet to see a dually in any of them.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd say you're looking for a 3500 with the same wheelbase and mounting your gear onto it. Do some measurements. That box you have on the back may fit any truck with a long enough frame. It may be that a regular cab longbox dually of any year or make for that matter could fit with a little bit of welding vs the huge amount of work and potential unforseen issues you may have going the other route.

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Looks like I got some options to look at now, thanks everyone for the responses and help.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’d just find a cheap regular cab 1/2 ton & start swapping. If you dash is melted your vin tag has to be switched anyway

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Does anyone know when selecting a ecm from another vehicle wether it matters if it came from a automatic or manual vehicle? My 02 dodge 3500 has a 5 speed im assuming it's the nv4500, ive found alot of ecm same year and engine(5.9) but alot specifiy they are from automatic trans. Thanks

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Just a little progress

20180416_135134.jpg

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I'm almost done with having everything together, engine already runs and I can move the truck, now I had to replace all of the power steering and some of the braking elements like and module and master cylinder.

My questions are: how do I bleed the power steering. I have lines from the powesteering to the gearbox, cooler and hydro boots on the firewall. Which line should I bleed air from? The brakes i will bleed the old fashion way and hope things work out, but the and module control i may have issues, not that the and ever really worked i believe the lights been on forever.

Also I have a leak somewhere on the intake i did replace all gaskets, torque to spec etc etc. I have one port on passenger side I need to run a hose somewhere and two on the drivers side. I have a hydro boost and not the brake booster you see on 1500 so no vacuum lines go to that.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just fill it, start it up and keep turning the wheel lock to lock (make it easier with the front tires of the ground), and pump the brake pedal till it stops growling, checking the fluid level as your doing it.
Any air will just show as bubbles in the reservoir.

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Sounds simple enough, thank you very much

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Thanks dodgedude99, I have a little money into her but for a truck with only 32,099k miles I could not just let it go. Lots of aftermarket parts, some used but mainly sensors, batt, alternator, LDP, purge solenoid, injectors, all p/s and pressure lines, brake stuff like that is all new, also pulled manifold off and did all new gaskets, wish I knew about the hughes engine intake plate before hand but to late now. Also deleted the smog pump, cut the bracket clean and adapted a tensioner and shorted belt, hopefully i will not have issues because of that.