Engine Getting Hot but not overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have a 2002 ram 1500 4.7l and haven't had any overheating issues since I purchased the truck. After installing a CAI system I noticed it has been getting hotter sporadically, on highway, usually when I'm in lower rpms but it never gets too hot. I checked the coolant and added a quart of 50/50 coolant. It doesn't seem to be getting as hot but still goes just over its normal range (just pass the center on the gauge)
Could this be from me improperly running the PCV. When I removed the original intake the tube disconnected and I was not 100% sure how they are placed back on and was struggling to find any help online or youtube
Could the PCV set up and overheating be related?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a 2002 ram 1500 4.7l and haven't had any overheating issues since I purchased the truck. After installing a CAI system I noticed it has been getting hotter sporadically, on highway, usually when I'm in lower rpms but it never gets too hot. I checked the coolant and added a quart of 50/50 coolant. It doesn't seem to be getting as hot but still goes just over its normal range (just pass the center on the gauge)
Could this be from me improperly running the PCV. When I removed the original intake the tube disconnected and I was not 100% sure how they are placed back on and was struggling to find any help online or youtube
Could the PCV set up and overheating be related?

Post a few pics and I’ll see if I can help. It’s possible that a wire broke or came off.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Post a few pics and I’ll see if I can help. It’s possible that a wire broke or came off.

Sorry I believe it is my CCV. Not sure how it was suppose to be reinstalled. I have it connected behind the oil dip stick where the Crank Case Valve was, then running to my intake tube using a T style adapter (original parts from before) the bottom part of T goes into grommet into intake, the continuing piece of the T connected to red aftermarket tube from CAI and that reattaches to the intake at a smaller opening that protruded out of the intake. Intake kit is very similar to this. The first elbow piece that has the two holes is similar to mine.
3-BLUE-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-Filter-For.jpg

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
70CB10E5-BB02-4B8A-92BF-EC41451D3CB2.jpeg 64AD1BD1-2DBC-402A-BE49-E2676C750E9A.jpeg05F90ACA-4213-4F44-B8B8-174CFB8341FF.jpeg

PCV valve looks okay and I didn't effect that.
The CCV hose is what I had accidently removed without realizing the proper procedure for how to reinstall on to the Cold Air Intake

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Did you say you got it hooked up to the pvc valve hose? If so you got it hooked up wrong if it is hook up to the tube that use to go to the breather box its right.I had a dual cold air intake took it off went back stock with a k/n filter .I could not see how it was cold when sitting on a hot engine all the time.Cold air is getting cold air that is away from that hot engine.I don't know what the temperature is up there where you live here its been in high 80-mid 90s here sitting idle at a light my guage will climb just above half way and go back down just below the mid point on the guage when moving down the road and that's running the air.

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Did you say you got it hooked up to the pvc valve hose? If so you got it hooked up wrong if it is hook up to the tube that use to go to the breather box its right.I had a dual cold air intake took it off went back stock with a k/n filter .I could not see how it was cold when sitting on a hot engine all the time.Cold air is getting cold air that is away from that hot engine.I don't know what the temperature is up there where you live here its been in high 80-mid 90s here sitting idle at a light my guage will climb just above half way and go back down just below the mid point on the guage when moving down the road and that's running the air.

it is the Breather Tube hose and I actually sat in the truck for about 15 minutes while its 90 degrees outside and the gauge did not move from its normal temperature once heated up. Also had AC on with no problem. Guess will have to see on way home from work if it corrected itself or if there is a problem. Was wondering if it was correct because the stock set up had a breather tube that just emptied out the side it seemed where as this set up does not have a open end for dumping.
Also plan on getting heat resistant sleeve for CAI to reduce engine temp on metal

Last edited:

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are a smart man that's the way to go keep the air as cool as possible.Airram .com has a little scoop that hooks on the side of the radiator that makes air get into the engine department and drops the temp in the engine bay.

OP
OP
adamh3844

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
You are a smart man that's the way to go keep the air as cool as possible.Airram .com has a little scoop that hooks on the side of the radiator that makes air get into the engine department and drops the temp in the engine bay.

Already got that and the new location for intake sits right behind it

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You rock .