Engine light - Code P0420

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by cuevrojamez, Dec 13, 2016.

1. cuevrojamez

cuevrojamez Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have read that I can use a scanner or oscilloscope to check to see if the O2 sensor is bad. Is this something an auto repair shop can do, or could my local auto pets store (O'Reilly/AutoZone) could assist with?

2. MADDOG

MADDOG Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Most auto parts stores can read codes and give you a short printout.

3. Kenworth

Kenworth Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Repair shop can easily scan and fix. OBD II code readers are fairly cheap to buy and would diagnose many P codes.

An O2 sensor is not difficult to switch out depending on its location and wether its siezed. If its siezed a little heat with a torch can free it up usually.

4. cuevrojamez

cuevrojamez Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Scanner is reading 2 P0420 codes, I assume 1 for the sensor before and 1 sensor after the cat converter. Is there a way to determine which sensor is bad?

5. Bullitt5339

Bullitt5339 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The P0420 code is typically only for the sensor after the catalytic converter. It is not an "O2 sensor bad" code, it is a catalyst efficiency code which is normally the O2 sensor downstream from the catalytic converter, but it can also be caused by a bad catalytic converter, vacuum leaks, etc.

You can test them with an O-scope. The voltage range should be between .2-.7 volts and if the cat is in good condition, it should stay pretty close to .5 volts after the engine has warmed up fully. You can try to use a voltmeter, but O2 sensors can switch voltage very rapidly and most voltmeters can't read the changes that fast, so it will average them out.