Engine oil temps reached 272 and now the hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I realized it was an air flow issue on a trip to Colorado last year. My clutch fan got stuck, so it was spinning at full speed. This happened when I shut down the engine while hot. I was climbing in northern NM and the temps were about 230 for oil and 195 for engine temps for hours. The clutch came unstuck and temps went back up. It got up to 257 for oil temp and 215 for engine temps. My thoughts were that it was either the shutters not opening or the grille. I read that the shutters open quickly, so I changed out the grille. It has dropped temps even in traffic. I believe that the Bighorn (or Lonestar) grille is the culprit.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it’s ridiculous that they say our trucks can pull way more than 5k but we see temps 270+. I even looked at my build sheet and since I have the tow package that it has a oil cooler which I have a hard time believing that with those temps.

I am thinking it runs so hot because the coolant ports on the engine arent good enough? Ex I am running clutch fan, efan at 200, grille shutters removed, and 180 therm. There is no way I can get anymore air to this engine and it still runs hot!!

I am so sick of taking my trailer out and have to worry about my truck getting hot! Bye bye hemi it’s time for a diesel!

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP Bengully was supposedly dropping his truck off at the dealership yesterday, waiting to hear how it went......

OP
OP
B

Bengully

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well my trip to the dealer was about as anticipated.
I mentioned the oil temps reaching 270 and he asked what my transmission temp was and I told him no higher than 200 and he said "oh yeah that's fine".. then shortly after stated he's never even noticed or looked at the oil temps before so he's not sure if that's hot or not...
That gave me quite a bit of confidence in leaving my truck under his supervision . Insert sarcasm emoji....
So that got me nowhere with the concern of temps but they did have the truck for the day and found 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts and replaced the gasket. I didn't even ask him when they called but he mentioned they measured the manifold and it was still in spec .

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Thought for the techs and more experienced on the forum. Still suspect of the 20w oil. But,, is it possible that the manifold exhaust leak contributed to the high oil temp? We know that an intake manifold leak "can" act like a blow torch on calves. Do manifold leaks raise engine operating temp??

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought for the techs and more experienced on the forum. Still suspect of the 20w oil. But,, is it possible that the manifold exhaust leak contributed to the high oil temp? We know that an intake manifold leak "can" act like a blow torch on calves. Do manifold leaks raise engine operating temp??
[emoji848]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mentioned the oil temps reaching 270 and he asked what my transmission temp was and I told him no higher than 200 and he said "oh yeah that's fine".. then shortly after stated he's never even noticed or looked at the oil temps before so he's not sure if that's hot or not...
That gave me quite a bit of confidence in leaving my truck under his supervision . Insert sarcasm emoji....
So that got me nowhere with the concern of temps but they did have the truck for the day and found 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts and replaced the gasket. I didn't even ask him when they called but he mentioned they measured the manifold and it was still in spec .
Really appreciate the feedback sir. Did they give you a rental car??

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They make a oil filter relocation kit with a oil cooler, I think I will go that way when I move my filter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H74L4IS/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?psc=1&tag=viglink21284-20

Yep, I've seen you mention this kit before elsewhere...I'm curious about it, too. Not to drift the thread, but has anyone installed it or even think it's necessary? It seems like a good solution to a couple of different challenges (making oil changes easier and keeping the engine running a little better). Since my '16 Reb is usually on commuter duty, I'm sure I could get by without it, but that ol' "ounce of prevention" thought keeps bouncing around in my head.

TXCOMT

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep, I've seen you mention this kit before elsewhere...I'm curious about it, too. Not to drift the thread, but has anyone installed it or even think it's necessary? It seems like a good solution to a couple of different challenges (making oil changes easier and keeping the engine running a little better). Since my '16 Reb is usually on commuter duty, I'm sure I could get by without it, but that ol' "ounce of prevention" thought keeps bouncing around in my head.

TXCOMT

No haven't used one. Just my thought, if I was towing heavy on a regular basis, I would be looking for a stout after market cooler. The way I use my truck, stock is fine. In fact a cooler for me might not allow the oil to get hot enough to burn off any impurities that accumulate.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking I need to go look at mine and see if I've actually got an oil cooler. I just assumed I did because it had trailer tow package, then I got the window sticker out of the file and started reading it. On one part it says trailer tow package, then another part says delete trailer tow package, then it says add hitch. So does that mean the only thing I ever got from the trailer tow package is the hitch?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
No haven't used one. Just my thought, if I was towing heavy on a regular basis, I would be looking for a stout after market cooler. The way I use my truck, stock is fine. In fact a cooler for me might not allow the oil to get hot enough to burn off any impurities that accumulate.
I agree. I thought about an oil cooler, but I was concerned about keeping the oil temp down. I read an article from Caroll Shelby and he stated the optimal temp is 213 to 248.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked up my truck build sheet and since I have the tow package it said that my truck as the trans and oil cooler but I am still getting those high temps. Not sure if that will help.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump, did anyone find an actual oil cooler on their truck??