Engine Racing while on Cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zowper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 Magnum
Randomly my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 engine will race ever so slightly. This happens with and without cruise control, but is more apparent with cruise control on. I've posted a video that was taken while using cruise control on fairly flat ground (the interstate) on a cold winter day. You can hear the engine rev up a bit (about 100-200 RPM) but you can't really feel it while driving. It does this about four times in the video. If you turn up the sound you can hear it too. It's nothing dramatic, but it does call your attention while you're driving.

Here's the video link: http://youtu.be/kLRZ0CjRbLg

This is my first truck and I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. There aren't any warning lights illuminated on my instrument panel (ie the check engine light is off along with all others). Any insights as to why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for your help!

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it sounds like a throttle body sensor (tps, iac) or possibly a vacuum leak. Since it's more prevalent with cruise, I would lean torward a vacuum leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it sounds like a throttle body sensor (tps, iac) or possibly a vacuum leak. Since it's more prevalent with cruise, I would lean torward a vacuum leak.

Hopefully thats all it is, but that amount of rpm increase should have also increased the speed. Transmission slipage though is another possability.

Try the same conditions but with the O/D off and see if it does it. if it doesn't do it with O/D off it could be some minor TCC slippage.

Also does it seem to worse in the colder weather?

FryeBaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
It should probably be the TPS. I have had my Truck 15 years (2000 1500 5.9) and it has done this about every four years or so. I noticed it everytime using Cruise Control when it started occuring. The RPMS go up and then back down. The cruise is so steady that it is easy to notice. Replacing the TPS fixed my issue everytime. Good luck with your truck.