Engine runs, NO pulleys moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyeAyeCapn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 1500 Quadcab
Engine
2004 1500 Quadcab, 3.7 V6 (hahahaha - that's a crime by itself). Turned in driveway today. NO steering. Strong armed into driveway and saw warning lights for battery (??) Turned engine off, check voltage (OK) checked PS fluid, it was full. Started engine, looked at front of engine and NO pulleys were moving or even wiggling. Belt was on and tight (didn't grab belt with engine running, whacked it with shovel handle. Gauges said battery was low, temp rising (no fan or water pump) and I shut it off and towed to very good independent fixit place. They'll let me know. Ever seen this? Any ideas? Main pulley runs off crankshaft, engine was running and main pulley wasn't turning. I've never seen this in the 900,000 + miles I've driven a car/truck.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
uh thats a new one to me, i have had the pulley come loose on a power steering pump and the pulley spun without turning the main shaft in the pump, same thing could have happen to your crank pulley

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Center of main pulley cracked, separated from outer portion which meant the crank could still turn but the main pulley wouldn't spin?