Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine has a tick that started overnight. I parked the truck in the yard and when I started it today it was making some loud ticking. Everything seems to be running good. I don't see smoke in the exhaust. Doesn't feel like it's missing. Always ran 10w30 full synthetic Mobil 1. Oil level is still at the top oil line. Pressure is good. I'm going to attempt to upload a video. Plenum was repaired 2 years ago with a Hughes kit. Everything looked good then. I did a compression check before and I know I had 2 cylinders slightly low compression. Idr which ones. In some post on here it's written.

Edit: video
https://youtu.be/EcTEW03ctco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
First, check everything that moves to make sure something isn't getting hit. I had a ziptie that got in the way of the fan blades and made a stange sound, took me a few minutes to find it.

That noise sounds kind of like valve noise, from the video it seems to high pitched to be rod knock. Its possibly a lifter, what happens when you give it some gas?

Take a video on each side of the engine about the same distance from the valve covers, give it a rev on each side, then try to get the camera down by the bottom of the engine, hold it under the bumper.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering if it's not a collapsed lifter. It's a 97 318 has 150,000 miles. Sounds is more prominent from the front of the driver side valve cover. I'll have to crawl underneath and get a video of the sound. I did rev the truck some and the sound speeds up with the RPMs. If I put my hand on the valve cover you can feel a tap with the sound. You can feel it on the passenger side but it's not as hard of a tap. I'm trying to find my replacement valve cover gaskets I never used incase I need to pull the valve cover. I am mechanically inclined enough if I need to do anything. I'll post up a video tomorrow afternoon from under the truck and more around the valve cover on both sides.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
When you do, pull the electrical connector for the driver side cylinders one at a time, see if that substantially quiets it down.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you do, pull the electrical connector for the driver side cylinders one at a time, see if that substantially quiets it down.

Do you mean the spark plugs? Or the injectors

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Injectors.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Injectors made no difference except making the truck miss.
Plugs in order from front of engine bay drivers side
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG
The oil on the threads is the leaky valve cover that I've yet to fix. Will upload a better video of the noise.
Edit: video
https://youtu.be/YghUcIxUVkU
Sound quiets just a little when the truck gets warm as well as some moisture from the exhaust. It's dripping slow and I'm noticing a little smoke from the exhaust as well now. Just a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another video of light revs and the moisture from the exhaust. It almost looks light green like the coolant... and I opened the radiator hot and no pressure from it whatsoever. Even with the truck running
https://youtu.be/2ILXjfvxqlw

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could very easily be an exhaust leak

I posted another video as well. I'm not seeing any heat spots or air flow around the manifold. I looked around for that. Any way to narrow it out if it is that?

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine completely warmed up.
https://youtu.be/-F0kiLn_za8

25eac34038bad0d3c253f36eda0312c7.jpg
That moisture is from about 2 minutes of running. No the truck does not have cats anymore. And I'm getting more smoke than usual when I push the throttle

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If you've ever heard a small block v8 open heads, you know its loud and sounds absolutely amazing. Its also amazing how much an exhaust system can quiet it down, exhaust leaks, even small ones can make a lot of noise if they are on the manifolds.

Since shutting down injectors made no appreciable difference, its most likely nothing bottom end. The pistons, rings, rods and main bearings are fine.

Since we know its upper end near the valves, you'll want to check for exhaust leaks. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to go buy a can of seafoam. Pull the brake booster line as its easiest to not make a mess with and you won't risk breaking the PCV valve. Suck about 3/4ths of the can into the brake booster while at idle, then dump the rest into the brake booster as fast as possible, if it causes the engine to stall, great, if not shut the engine off quickly.

Let it sit for about 2 minutes then start it back up again. You'll want to make sure the tailpipe is downwind of the engine. Look around the exhaust for leaks, you will see a white smoke if there is, revving the engine can help find leaks.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. I will try that. I did find a freeze plug that looked moist so that may be my coolant issue.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Watched all your videos, I'm saying exhaust leak, likely from the manifold or manifold collector. Sounds like one up there, follows rpm, quiets down a bit as it warms up (metal expands and seals it up slightly) and from your tailpipe you can hear a slight almost fizzle type sound that also matches rpm.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. I will check it. Am looking at selling the truck and would be nice if that's all it is.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I was going to do the seafoam thing but the tick is gone? I haven't started it since those videos and I just started it and it's gone completely.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is the old truck. It's actually my girlfriends. She's had it for about 7 or 8 years and I've been maintaining it for 5. I'm not getting rid of the new one. Honestly I don't want to get rid of this one but as circumstances go we are looking at moving soon and it would be nice to have the extra money. Truck doesn't get used at often as it should so...