Engine trouble!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
My 86 W150 can be a pain to start. She normally won't fire on the first try. From time to time she'd cut out and die when I came to a stop or went to speed up. I'd smell gas, and she'd be flooded out big time! It would take her a wile to start after that. Well she did it worse than ever last night after not doing it for a good while. I figured it was because she sat up. Gas was pouring from my carb leaking onto my valve covers. I was finally able to get her to fire up and I took her home. She idles fine in park, and in gear. If I rev her in park she sounds rough. If I give her gas she bogs down and dies. I drove her home last night. It was a very jerky 30 min ride. I hope nothing got tore up in the process. I didn't have a choice!

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
I cleaned the carb really well. I believe I have a charcoal filter by my tank. I cleaned black granular pieces from every crack. Should I replace my entire fuel line, and get rid of that filter? I've already got one befor the carb.

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
Still having issues

She's almost there, but not quite! She bogs at low throttle, but will kick up if I mash it. However she doesn't have the power when I mash it that she did have! She also is nearly silent in park. I had the timing checked. I don't know what's going on!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
which line did you have charcoal it? as long as charcoal is not making it into the carb it should be ok

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
It was my break booster filter! It was leaking that mess straight into my carb!

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
Filter

This is the filter from my break booster that plugged in the back of my carb.

Attachments

• IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 43

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there shouldn't be a line between the carb and brake booster. you might be confusing it for the charcoal canister. it is on the passenger side fender right? a filter installed on that line is generally normal with age. most times when the filter in the charcoal canister fails it is easier and cheaper to install a cheap filter in line than it is to replace the charcoal canister or the filter in it. now saying this tho i would be wondering if there is possibly any charcoal in the carb. it could possibly cause some issues

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
No. It comes off the break booster. The part name for the filter is break booster filter. It attaches to the back of my carb, and the pcv is on the other side.

OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
You can see the hose starts where my speedo cable goes t's into the break booster, and plugs in the rear of the carb.

Attachments

• IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
O

ODA13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L.A. 318
I replaced it with a fuel filter, and it's working fine!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you may want to make sure the lines are clear. there is no reason there should have been charcoal in that line or a filter on it. i am almost wondering if that thing that broke was possibly a check valve/vacuum canister. they usually have one on the cruise control so that it works consistently even when the engine is under load and not creating a lot of vacuum.