engine wont start after rebuild???PLEASE HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok i rebuilt my engine and for some reason it wont start getting great compression i have the service manual and went by it step by step on the timing cam sproket 6 oclock and crank sproket 12 oclock lined up the distributor at #1 where it says on the distributor i just checked it and im getting compression as soon as it hits TDC but no spark happens when it hit on it can someone chime in please i need my truck by monday please and thank you

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
sorry forgot to mention its a 2001 dodge ram sport 5.9 magnum

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i do get spark but just not on the compression stroke or am i wrong here with these trucks?

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok i think i have found it so apparently dot to dot means number 6 cyl. at TDC is this correct so all i have to do is pull dizzy out and rotate 180 degress correct me if im wrong please thank u

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure about that particular motor, but all the rebuilds I have done the dot on the crank gear is up and the cam gear is down, basically directly above it.

You should get spark on or just before compression TDC of each cylinder.

Sent from my HTC One Max

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Dot to Dot or 12 and 6 is indeed #6 tdc, 12 and 12 or both dots at 12 is tdc #1. Pull the dizzy you are 180 out.

Edit Same rule for sbc and bbc motors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Ok it was 180 started right up and ran great but now I have a major new problem and it's weird idle great and all started to hear what sounded like a lifter tick I let it idle for a good half an hour burping the coolant system well I hear what sounded like a pop sound puff of black smoke out the pipe and it shut off and now won't start it turns over but won't start any ideas anyone thank u

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok i figured it out Merc have u ever heard of a high flow oil pump making the dizzy skip time with the stock dizzy gear and shaft? is that possible because thats what happen i took the timing cover off thinking it might have been the timing that jumped but it wasnt it was the dizzy that jumped

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
sorry Merc i meant high volume oil pump not high flow

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No sir. Some will say you need a hardend oil pump shaft, but thats more for big cams. Pull it out and check the oil pump shaft for a twist in it.

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok i will let u know its such a pain to get in there gonna drop the pan and push it up that way and hope for the best lol

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
also it happened when i revved it up a little it was running good until i revved it up then it made a pop sound and a puff of black smoke out the tail pipe and shut down on me we i pulled the dizzy out and it was way off like sitting well it looked to me between 7 and 2 or on one of them was hard to see

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Oh I know its not easy to get to. Follow the fsm and make sure you have all the timing marks lined up right, then check the dizzy's rotor to where it's pointing to, there is a mark on the cam sensor plate showing where #1 and the rotor should be pointing.

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yeah I did that the second time it fired right up I let it idle for half an hour to burp the cooling system and got that finished after that put on the air cleaner housing and revved it up a couple times and then it popped and black puff of smoke which I think was u burns fuel because what happen was when I pulled off the timing cover thinking the chain jumped time but it didn't it was the dizzy that jumped time how I don't know that what I can't figure out

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Meant unburned fuel typo

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
That's why I was wondering if the high volume pressure king oil pump did it but not sure

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Don't forget you need to set the fuel sync as well, need a DRB scanner for this.

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i marked the dizzy so i know exaclly where it goes before i took it apart so no need for scanner

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
You still need to set it with the scanner. Your marks where with an old chain. An old chain can stretch more than 7°! You have no way to verify it was correct to begin with and slight differences in manufacturing in the timing set and cam key can allow for a difference. Aligning it with your marks will probably run OK but there is power and mpg you may never see until you set it