Entire row of fuses in interior panel no longer receives 12V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Tiemann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 gasoline
So, 2 weeks ago, bought a 2002 RAM 2500 from Caltrans (California Dept of Transportation).
It has 2 work lights and the rotating yellow light etc above the cabin. Caltrans disables them prior to sale.

I could use the work lights and tried to see if they just removed a fuse or cut a wire. I found a yellow wire that appears to be recently cut. I could not find the other end of the cut wire. So i gave up on that.

There are 2 simple switches by Caltrans on the dashboard that say "work lights" and "rotating lights"
I confirmed continuity from the work lights switch to the light bulb.

I then ran a wire from one of the interior fuse panel's fuses directly to that switch. I think it was the "trailer fuse". I removed the fuse, put the wire in, other end of wire to the switch, briefly touched the wrong post on the switch, it sparked a bit, then the lights worked (once it was connected to the right post)

I removed the wire then. Was going to do a permanent solution tomorrow.

Put the trailer fuse back in. (Even though I don't have a trailer.)

Was about to leave the job site.

Started truck, it started right up, I turn the steering wheel, I notice the power steering isn't working, then I notice the engine shutting down. It's been dead since then.

The cigar lighter outlet still works. So, I could charge my dead phone and call AAA for a tow truck

The interior fuse panel has 2 rows of fuses. Upper row has all the small fuses.
Lower row has the slightly bigger fuses.

I measured every fuse for continuity.. and all are fine. I noticed that the upper row with the small fuses.. none of the sockets have 12V any more. (They should, right???)

I also looked at the fuses and relays in the engine compartment. Swapped relays a bit, no success.

What would cause the upper row of fuses to go dead?

Thanks..

Big Doge fan here.. I got 4 of them.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Check the big fuse off the battery in the under hood fuse box where the power from battery connects.

I will look in my book tonight to see where the power to the dash fuse box comes from.

OP
OP
P

Peter Tiemann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 gasoline
I got it to work

I think the contact of the 50A fuse labeled "ignition" had a bad contact? Dirt?? I didn't have to replace it .

I pretty much disassembled that panel under the hood..

All is working now