EVERYONE READ PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinAltemara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
Today, my 1999 Ram 1500 went flying down the drive way, in park, with the parking brake on, hitting my Father’s truck( yes the dodge won) but still I think you all should know that this could happen and it was scary as hell cause I was in it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
A 1999 can have a lot of wore parts to fail. No offense but old vehicles wear out and things go wrong. I wouldn't call it an emergency. I saw a Pontiac Grand Prix GT on the bypass yesterday with a busted tie rod. Not an emergency, just something that happens to a 15 year old car.

OP
OP
K

KevinAltemara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
A 1999 can have a lot of wore parts to fail. No offense but old vehicles wear out and things go wrong. I wouldn't call it an emergency. I saw a Pontiac Grand Prix GT on the bypass yesterday with a busted tie rod. Not an emergency, just something that happens to a 15 year old car.

I don’t even know what could have broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Park brake pawl probably broke and your e-brake is probably worn out or maladjusted so all the weight of the truck has been held by that pawl on hills for who knows how long or many times. Putting the vehicle in park usually keeps it from rolling so you may not have noticed the e-brake failure.

SportinaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI!
If you are ever going to rely on your parking break, are you not supposed to put your truck in N, hit the Park break, let off the breaks, let it settle, then put it in park? Takes the weight off the transmission, and loads it on the park break. If you had done that you may have noticed the lack of "lock" on your Park break.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Park brake pawl probably broke and your e-brake is probably worn out or maladjusted so all the weight of the truck has been held by that pawl on hills for who knows how long or many times. Putting the vehicle in park usually keeps it from rolling so you may not have noticed the e-brake failure.
This.

10x this.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’m pretty sure you gotta remove the overdrive housing to check the parking pawl. It’s all the way in the back of the trans, and don’t take the overdrive apart without a shop press

I Bleed Ram Trucks

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

The problem with floor mounted parking brakes... you can't feel the handle getting loose as the cable stretches, but if you use them regularly they need to be adjusted every few years all the same.