Exhause manifold bolts broken...common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shop tells me 2 of my bolts on my exhaust manifold are broken clean...and I need a new manifold and have them drilled out because it's making me run rich due to lack of back pressure.??

First...how much fuel will I be losing just by this?
Second...how common is this? They said it's very common on Rams.
Third...is this a MUST fix? or can I live with it?

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Unfortunately it's becoming even more common than everyone thought. Mine went in twice in 30k miles under warranty.
It's not an item that will keep you from driving the truck, but I wouldn't let it go too long. You could potentially burn a valve on the leaky ones.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's really common. I've replaced a ton of them at work. The stock manifolds are junk. They warp and break the bolts. I put headers on mine and don't expect to have any more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's really common. I've replaced a ton of them at work. The stock manifolds are junk. They warp and break the bolts. I put headers on mine and don't expect to have any more problems.

Can you suggest some headders I could get that won't break the bank? IF I'm going to fix this I'd prefer to go with something aftermarket that is higher end. Thanks in advance

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does one check for this problem?

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

you hear a ticking sound and you will see black residue around the exhaust channel, where the bolts are broken. if you know where, you'll see it too.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they are stripped or have to drill them out, whats the best way to put them back in?

On my 04, i had to helicoil and it was a pain in the ass and dont want to do that again.

I know its a matter of time.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they are stripped or have to drill them out, whats the best way to put them back in?

On my 04, i had to helicoil and it was a pain in the ass and dont want to do that again.

I know its a matter of time.

A helicoil or time sert will work but the best way is to not mess up the threads. Don't drill out the whole bolt. Use a smaller extractor. They are never stuck in there that bad. When they are broke off flush, I have been just welding on a nut with really good success.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be a class action lawsuit started on this issue just to get them replaced with better bolts, or extend the drivetrain warranty to cover this. Seems all too common to let them get away with this.

*I'm not the sue happy kind by the way.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had three broken , and three more broken during the header install.PITA , now with grade 8 hardware I don't expect any more issues. Fingers crossed

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If you grab the back end of the manifold heat shields and they wiggle/move,good chance your bolts are broke,the most common ones to break seem to be the back bolts that the heat shields bolt to.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you grab the back end of the manifold heat shields and they wiggle/move,good chance your bolts are broke,the most common ones to break seem to be the back bolts that the heat shields bolt to.

This.

My back bolt went as well.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It's generally the passenger side rear bolts... Both times on my truck it was cylinder 6&8

nlshamrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you suggest some headders I could get that won't break the bank? IF I'm going to fix this I'd prefer to go with something aftermarket that is higher end. Thanks in advance

Having same issues as the OP with the ticking. Will be checking the bolts the weekend to see if they are loose as suggested above. Instead of replacing with a similar manifold, any suggestions on type of headers that would be a good replacement solution? Not looking to 'soup her up' or anything, so a decent replacement where I won't have to be concerned on this happening again on a regular basis?

nlshamrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hey Everyone. Newbie here and pretty much a novice when it comes to mechanical issues.

Having same issues as the OP with the ticking. Will be checking the bolts the weekend to see if they are loose as suggested above. Instead of replacing with a similar manifold, any suggestions on type of headers that would be a good replacement solution? Not looking to 'soup her up' or anything, so a decent replacement where I won't have to be concerned on this happening again on a regular basis?

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport but have not done any customization on it (yet). 149000km.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Hey Everyone. Newbie here and pretty much a novice when it comes to mechanical issues.

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport but have not done any customization on it (yet). 149000km.

Stage 8 header bolts and pick up a set of shorty headers, they will bolt in exactly the same as stock and connect to the existing mid pipes.

Last edited: