Exhaust heat???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I have a 99 Ram V-10 5 Sp 4x4. Last month I decided to mod my exhaust. So I had a MagnaFlow 2 into 1 muffler installed. The tail pipe is a 3". The shop put on a nice chrome tip & it blued within a few hundred miles of towing. I can't believe how HOT that exhaust gets. I have no CELs it runs great the exhaust mod seemed to give more power not better mileage as I hoped 5.5-6.5 mpg towing a 10,000# TT. about 10-12 mpg empty.
Has anyone else noticed the exhaust heat. I was surprised by the bluing of a good chrome tip.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a v10 but I have heard with the 5.2s and 5.9s try run hot which is why the cats always junk out and glass packs are useless to run as well. I don't have chrome tips on mine yet either so I cant comment on that as well just yet just throwing in my input!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well the heat is common as you are making an explosion that generates heat. lol But if you have a chrome tip or even a stainless tip it really depends on how it was cast. Different metals will discolor at different temps. For example I have stainless tips and after a week of normal driving my tips turned an odd shade of goldish yellow. I wasn't aware that they would discolor after that little of use. But it turns out that all metals will change color at different temps. So essential it's normal.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I'm guessing your tip is stainless, not chrome. Chrome doesnt usually discolor so quickly like that. On my 07 diesel, I ran it hot a few times (over 1500*) and the chrome tip never discolored. Stainless on the other hand, will start to turn purple almost immediately.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^^Very interesting. So mine must not be true stainless as its yellowish

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Depends on the type of stainless. Some turns a yellowish gold, and some turns purple. That same truck had a stainless exhaust manifold, and it turned purple in a metter of days after installing it.

OP
OP
V-10 RAM

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
Interesting, But that makes sense. The MagnaFlow muffler looks pretty much normal. The mandrel bent tail pipe is the OEM it is just rusty, dirty looking. I just thought it was interesting. I'm glad the muffler shop threw it in So I did not directly pay for it but I'm sure it wasn't FREE.
Lesson learned don't put tips on unless they are OEM. Ha Ha. But it did look nice for a day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado