EXHAUST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Ram 2500 mega cab with the 5.7 hemi...was looking to switch up exhaust. has anyone seen improvements of any kind when switching just the muffler vs doing a cat back

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of the performance mufflers will provide improvements. A Cat back just means a system post-catalytic converter. Usually a bolt on. Tubing, muffler or muffler delete. The main restriction with a stock set up is the muffler. Other restrictions that are lesser would be the bends/crimps if they exist.
I replaced everthing from the muffler back. Went from stock single outlet to dual 2.5” with an 18” Magnaflow. MF are straight-through, no baffles, think of a perforated tube with packing around the tube. Noticeable kick in the pants plus sounds pretty damn good. Deep sound without being obnoxious.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. A freer flowing exhaust will help and replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket one is a good first step. You don't need to do a full catback to see some improvement.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually felt a bit of improvement midrange with the gibson mwa race muffler, only time i can say that. Over the years and 25 different exhaust changes between 3 mustangs, 1 chevy, 1 dakota, and 2 rams, ive used flowmaster, magnaflow, borla, spintech, dynomax, imco, pypes, thrush, black widow and never felt a difference

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a Ram 2500 mega cab with the 5.7 hemi...was looking to switch up exhaust. has anyone seen improvements of any kind when switching just the muffler vs doing a cat back

Solo Exhaust Delete kit. Nick@gotexhaust has everything you need/want for your truck.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it comes to mufflers, there is A difference being straight thru. I had a two chamber flomaster on my twin turbo mustang, and my installer told me to go with a magnaflow because they are straight thru with no baffles. Hated to do it and spend the money, but I was looking to get wvery ounce of HP I could.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it comes to mufflers, there is A difference being straight thru. I had a two chamber flomaster on my twin turbo mustang, and my installer told me to go with a magnaflow because they are straight thru with no baffles. Hated to do it and spend the money, but I was looking to get wvery ounce of HP I could.

Absolutely correct. Chambered mufflers are the worst type for forced induction, especially turbos. Chambered mufflers just can’t flow as good as a straight thru. Lots of people love the chambered sound but if you want the most performance go straight thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Let us know what ya decide to do which way you go with your exhaust system

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like Carven competitor.

Carven progressive is the same only larger muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thumbs up for the straight thru muffler design like the Magnaflow, your performance can only go
up by removing that restriction on the stock exhaust.