Extang tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17crewram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought a '17 Big Horn 1500. Traded in an '08 for it. I had an Extang Express roll up tonneau cover and really liked it. It was 9 years old and just had the velcro int eh rails replaced under warranty. I WILL buy another Extang soft rollup. With a 5'7 bed, I don't want anything that will limit its size further. SO. the two I'm looking at is another Express which sits on top or the Revolution witch is low pro.

I really like the look of the Revolution, but do not like the rails taking away space from the bed use. The Express I have no dislikes other than if it is really really windy from the side, it will blow up at the velcro. However, it does sit higher allowing more room under the cover. I guess my biggest reason why to choose the Revolution is I like the look better than how the express sits on this box design. The narrower bed sides at the rear make any cover sitting on top look funky at the rear I think. I've not really found any good photos of installs that do not show the cover (or any soft cover on top) not sticking over the sides of the bed at the very rear.

Thoughts on who have had or have either?

Mike
'17 1500 Big Horn Crew.
'14 Chrysler 300
'06 Ford Freestyle
'70 VW Beetle

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Extang Black Max and it's been great..... it's old school snap cover. I had one on my old s10 and after 8 years when I sold the truck it still looked like new. The rails sit on top of the bed rails on this one.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had an Extang Black Max (snap cover), a Lund TriFecta (tri fold) and now an Extang xMax (TriFold that can fold straight up and stay on the truck)

The mounting tracks for the xMax take up a bit of space in the front of the wheel well area (towards the cab) but not too bad. It allows just about full access to the bed if necessary but the cover itself doesnt come off.

I think your best bet would be any of the tri-fold type covers....yes they are not low profile, but no tracks in the bed area and you can completely remove it if necessary. I went with the xMax because I figured a cover for a RAM bed is probably pretty heavy and I didnt want to have to deal with lugging it on and off if necessary.

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Extang revolution. The bars are sewn into the cover. It doesn’t take noticeable space away from the bed at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I bought a revolution and it was too short for the bed. It barely covered from the inside front of the bed to the inside edge of the tailgate. I took it to the factory( I live 20 minutes away)and their engineer looked at it and said that's just how it fits. I returned it and got a truxedo lo pro and it fits much better and works great. Over two years later and no complaints.

Truck Brigade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
The Revolution is the superior product out of the two in my opinion. Neat sealing system but I prefer the old school velcro. (Depending on climate) the industrial grade velcro can typically last 7-10 years,

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the low profile velcro model on my Silverado 1500. After being on the truck for about 4 years or so the velcro was a little weak. The cover actually ripped off the back when driving from Twentynine Palms to San Diego from very high cross winds. They replaced pretty much the entire cover free of charge.

If any of you are active duty Marines, or know the Palm Springs, CA area you can attest to the high winds on highway 62 as you're headed south through Moreno Valley toward Palm Springs!

If I was went for a soft cover I would have bought Extang again...

erice

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 slt
Engine
I liked extang cover had on a mazda years back buttons went the snaps on the rail broke they did replace snaps I know have
Lund 98063 Genesis Hinged Tonneau I like it a lot a rail came off but a hole in cover Lund replaced the cover I like the hinged cover you can remove and it’s like a trunk a lot easier to use because when it gets cold and if u take roll up cover have to wait for a warm day to but on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have an Extang, and a coworker bought a Tyger trifold, looks identical as mine but 1/2 the cost...maybe check them for one comparable.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If any of you are active duty Marines, or know the Palm Springs, CA area you can attest to the high winds on highway 62 as you're headed south through Moreno Valley toward Palm Springs!

Not a Marine, but did training at Camp Davis as a Seabee. Yes, the winds are fierce there at times, no doubt about it.

I'm looking at bed covers for my 6.5' bed and not sure which direction to go. To be honest, I like a hard cover painted to match, but that can be inconvenient at times. A soft cover like talked about would be easier to deal with and black goes with anything.