Factory Reset Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bpd138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn, which I am loving.
I recently added a backup camera using the PAC BCI-CH41 setup, I also swapped out the stock EVIC for the premium gauges and updated the uconnect software to the latest version.
I want to do a factory reset through the engineering menu so that everything has a "fresh start".
I have the 8.4a uconnect system with factory navigation in my truck which, if I understand correctly the 8.4a system gets it's navigation by the dealer activating it or flashing it or something like that.

So, my question is; If I do a factory reset will I lose the navigation and have to get the dealer to reactivate it?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn, which I am loving.
I recently added a backup camera using the PAC BCI-CH41 setup, I also swapped out the stock EVIC for the premium gauges and updated the uconnect software to the latest version.
I want to do a factory reset through the engineering menu so that everything has a "fresh start".
I have the 8.4a uconnect system with factory navigation in my truck which, if I understand correctly the 8.4a system gets it's navigation by the dealer activating it or flashing it or something like that.

So, my question is; If I do a factory reset will I lose the navigation and have to get the dealer to reactivate it?
If you have the RA4 also known as VP4 NA it comes from the factory with the Nav. The dealer activated trucks are the RA3 VP3 NA radios. If your radio is the RA4 and you do a reset your radio should not lose its Nav. That being said if everything in your truck is working correctly and your radio has no issues I would recommend just leaving it alone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bpd138

bpd138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the RA4 also known as VP4 NA it comes from the factory with the Nav. The dealer activated trucks are the RA3 VP3 NA radios. If your radio is the RA4 and you do a reset your radio should not lose its Nav. That being said if everything in your truck is working correctly and your radio has no issues I would recommend just leaving it alone.

Thanks for the reply. How do I tell which model radio I have?
The main reason I want to do a factory reset is because after I swapped out the gauge cluster for the premium one, the navigation prompts aren't showing up on the EVIC screen anymore. It shows the up coming turn and distance but not the arrow. Everything else works correctly just no navigation arrows. I searched all the settings and navigation menus and I can't find any way to turn on the navigation prompts. I guess I was hoping a factory reset would remedy this issue.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. How do I tell which model radio I have?
The main reason I want to do a factory reset is because after I swapped out the gauge cluster for the premium one, the navigation prompts aren't showing up on the EVIC screen anymore. It shows the up coming turn and distance but not the arrow. Everything else works correctly just no navigation arrows. I searched all the settings and navigation menus and I can't find any way to turn on the navigation prompts. I guess I was hoping a factory reset would remedy this issue.
The easy way to tell without pulling out your radio to check is to see if you have the HD Radio soft key present on the radio screen when you are on AM or FM. If you have the HD soft key your radio is an RA4 with factory Nav. A quick explication on there not being a setting to turn the Turn-By-Turn on or off. These trucks didn't come with these radios so that setting has not been flagged in our BCM. Because it hasn't been flagged it will not show up on the screen. Even though it usually works we have no way to turn it on or off. Some of the earlier 13 and 14 radios actually kept the setting after we installed them because they had a little different software that actually had the setting encrypted into the radio. As soon as we updated our firmware in these radios the setting disappeared but it seemed as long as we had the setting enabled before we did the update it would still work. It would seem that yours is set because it shows the distance and prompts you to turn. I'm not sure what would cause the arrows not to show up. I haven't ever heard of it working half way before. The first thing I would try is to unhook your positive battery cable for at least 15 or 20 minutes. Belive it or not this will sometimes help little glitches. I am assuming the turn by turn arrows appeared in your EVIC on your premium speedometer before you did the update correct? If disconnecting the battery doesn't help you can try a soft reset by pushing the volume and browse buttons together for around 5 seconds. This will reboot the radio. If non of this works you can do a full reset if you chose. If your radio is an RA4 you shouldn't lose your Nav. I can't really comment on whether or not you would have an issue if your radio is an RA3 and you do a factory reset since I personally have never done a reset on a Nav activated RA3. Good luck. Hopefully you will be able to get it figured out.

OP
OP
bpd138

bpd138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the advice Ricks Ram. I have since discovered my radio is the Ra3 with dealer installed navigation. I will try doing the battery disconnect and soft reset and see if that solves the problem.

OP
OP
bpd138

bpd138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ricks Ram - I tried both resets that you suggested but neither worked. I don't want to take a chance doing a "factory" reset and risk losing my navigation. I guess I'll have to live with it. lol
Thanks for the suggestions though, it was very appreciated.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ricks Ram - I tried both resets that you suggested but neither worked. I don't want to take a chance doing a "factory" reset and risk losing my navigation. I guess I'll have to live with it. lol
Thanks for the suggestions though, it was very appreciated.
You can also try doing the reset on the speedometer. It most likely won't help but it's worth a shot. Turn the ignition to run but don't start the truck. Push the gas pedal to the floor 5 times slowly it will reset your oil life indicator so make sure you know about where it was before you do the reset or at least know about what mileage you need to change your oil at. There is one other thing that I have done in the past that has worked believe it or not. Some of the icons were not showing up plus the voice texting on one of my radios would not work. It kept saying I need a subscription which you're supposed to have but for some reason these radios usually work without it. I took the radio out of my truck and installed it in my buddy's truck at which time I had to enter the security code. As soon as the radio reset to his truck all the functions started working. I then removed the radio from his truck and reinstalled it in my truck at which time I had to enter the security code again and it kept all the functions. I'm not sure if you have access to another truck but I just wanted to mention it because I have had success with that in the past as well. For some reason sometimes these radios have these glitches and there's really no explanation why. As stated before as a last resort you could try a factory reset, but if I were you I would make sure you spoke with someone that has already done so to an RA3 to make sure you don't lose your Nav activation.

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a 2014 Ram with an RA3 and upgraded NAV. I wanted to wipe all synced iPhones and other settings from the previous owner, and did a factory reset. My NAV is now gone. Is there a way to recover it, that anyone knows of? I did take a picture of the server and database info before I did it. Is there anything there that could identify the activation code? What did you end up doing, bpd138?

Thanks!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a 2014 Ram with an RA3 and upgraded NAV. I wanted to wipe all synced iPhones and other settings from the previous owner, and did a factory reset. My NAV is now gone. Is there a way to recover it, that anyone knows of? I did take a picture of the server and database info before I did it. Is there anything there that could identify the activation code? What did you end up doing, bpd138?

Thanks!
The only thing I might recommend is to call Uconnect and tell them the maps were previously activated and were removed when you reset the radio and you need the code to reactivate them. Hopefully they keep some type of records of the radios that have been activated and will reissue the code.

OP
OP
bpd138

bpd138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks!

Hi,
I never ended up doing the hard reset. I did a radio reset through the engineering menu but not an actual hard reset back to factory defaults. I didn't want to take the chance of losing my Navigation. I'm sorry that you lost yours but it confirmed my initial fears of losing the navigation by doing a hard reset.

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted this same question on Challengertalk.com, DodgeCares responded with information for me. The short version of the story is, you can call 866-422-8182 and choose selection 3, and tell them you lost your NAV during a system update. They can look up your activation code for you, and give it to you over the phone.

hicder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
hi somebody knows if i can get back my uconnect system, i have an 8.4 vp4 with nav system, after the last upgrade i get too many problem like black screen, well know i get only RAM AND SIRIUS XM logos, and that set i tried hard reset like push hot and cold key=nothing. nav system fuse out for 10 min=nothing. i was in the dealer and they say change radio $1200 even if they provoke the problem.