Few mod questions!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Im in need of some help, forgive the stupidity on some of these questions but I just want to make sure the mods I have planned are worth it. Im trying to get my truck ready for a car show here in May and then for the Nat'l Mopar show in Gatty. Any help would be appreciated!

Black stubby antenna...I want to get rid of the freakishly big one, will I lose out on performance installing a shorter one vs the stock one?

Throttle body, catch can, gauge pod mount..Figured these would pair well with the tuner and the intake I already have. Are there going to be noticeable gains in hp/tq with all these performance mods?

Gears..want to do 4.56's with lsd? Is that even possible?

New wheels..I want to change it up and sell what I have. Being that my current wheels have been discontinued I think I could sell them easily. I want to do some Fuel Octanes.

Tuner..I bought a tuner and its on the way, what tune is the best in everyones opinion. I see the 93 tune will give more hp, but gas isnt cheap haha!

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've run a stubby antenna on both my rams and have had no issues with reception. I almost broke it twice though cleaning the snow off my hood, it was hidden and I forgot WHAM with the snow brush ugh...
Fuel Octanes would look awesome on your truck!
Everyone says 93 is the best but being lifted with heavy tires, you will not see the gains that guys with stock sized trucks get. I've been running 87 and and still got almost 17 mpg my last road trip...tons of power too. Its your choice there bud

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I were you I would get matte black vinyl and put it on the pillars it looks ten times better IMO and its easy to put on I did mine in 15 min and well worth the 7 dollars it cost

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
4.56s with LSD is possible, but you being a 12 you have to get a front differential from a 2011 truck and have the carrier modified to accept the gears. There is nothing aftermarket direct replacement for the 12s in the front yet. You're looking at every bit of $2k + for this, really more along the lines of $2500.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I've run a stubby antenna on both my rams and have had no issues with reception. I almost broke it twice though cleaning the snow off my hood, it was hidden and I forgot WHAM with the snow brush ugh...
Fuel Octanes would look awesome on your truck!
Everyone says 93 is the best but being lifted with heavy tires, you will not see the gains that guys with stock sized trucks get. I've been running 87 and and still got almost 17 mpg my last road trip...tons of power too. Its your choice there bud

Good point with the antenna, guess Ive got to be careful. I was thinking of doing the 8" one! Im loving the octanes, I think im going to do it as Ive already posted mine for sale. So 87 tune then huh? Anythings got to be better than what im getting now! I currently average about 11.5-12 mpgs..no good lol

If I were you I would get matte black vinyl and put it on the pillars it looks ten times better IMO and its easy to put on I did mine in 15 min and well worth the 7 dollars it cost

I dont like the look of the vinyl but to each their own, I like the clean look better.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idk if the Gen4 antennas are the same, but I saved myself some money and pulled the ball off the end of it, cut it down with a grinder to 12" , and contact cemented the ball back on and painted it black...works like a charm. If you wanted it shorter than that, I don't see there being any issues with it.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
4.56s with LSD is possible, but you being a 12 you have to get a front differential from a 2011 truck and have the carrier modified to accept the gears. There is nothing aftermarket direct replacement for the 12s in the front yet. You're looking at every bit of $2k + for this, really more along the lines of $2500.

Wonder If I could get lucky and find something salvage wise for a tad cheaper. Maybe Ill have a change of heart once I get my tuner. Just want a more smoother ride, something to push the 35's, and a little better mpgs. I know its a truck with a lift/tires but im only averaging 11.5-12 mpgs.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Idk if the Gen4 antennas are the same, but I saved myself some money and pulled the ball off the end of it, cut it down with a grinder to 12" , and contact cemented the ball back on and painted it black...works like a charm. If you wanted it shorter than that, I don't see there being any issues with it.

I guess this would be a stupid question seeing as you cut yours but is there nothing internal in the antenna? Is it just a "metal stick" lol?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess this would be a stupid question seeing as you cut yours but is there nothing internal in the antenna? Is it just a "metal stick" lol?

Thats exactly right...it's solid metal...all I had to do to get the ball back on it, was make the end pointy with a bench grinder and slap some cement on it.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Id get better city mpgs with 4.56 but hwy mpgs would suffer lol

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I work with antennas for a living, I assure you it is more than just a stick to have pointing in the air. If you live and drive in or close to a city yeah cut away you probably will never notice anything new or different but if you drive through the country or live away from radio towers, you might regret cutting too much.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are disappointed with the gas mileage now....wait until
you put 4.56 gears in.

Why? I saw absolutely no difference when I did mine.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Well im going to order my Wheels tomorrow..going with 20x10 Fuel Dunes with a -12 offset

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work with antennas for a living, I assure you it is more than just a stick to have pointing in the air. If you live and drive in or close to a city yeah cut away you probably will never notice anything new or different but if you drive through the country or live away from radio towers, you might regret cutting too much.

I live 30 miles from any radio towers and my cut down antenna works just fine.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I live 30 miles from any radio towers and my cut down antenna works just fine.

That doesn't surprise me, at that point you are still pretty much line of sight with the radio tower if you are in a flat area, which wouldn't matter anyway its not VHF. Point being, 30 miles is nothing, I'm talking like at least 100 miles, probably closer to 200+ before you'd really notice. Like I said your average person wouldn't notice any difference from a shorter antenna.

I replaced my antenna with the six inch one.
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/ALS4206K.htm

It works fine but when I pull into my carport I lose reception which I dont care because I use my iPod so it doesnt really matter to me. Plus in Guam the radio stations suck anyways.

What I loved the radio stations in guam! They beat the **** out of what I hear elsewhere in south east asia. Best radio I've heard in half a year at least! Hell in guam you can probably cut the damn antenna off the island is soo small, you go crawlin' up in the mountain trails up there?

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those wheels are gonna be sick dude! And if you're just buying the shorty antennae for truck shows and it causes bad reception, you could just swap out the long one when you don't need it

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure if the radio antenna's are the same as CB antennas but they have to be in certain lengths due to the sine wave. Thats why you see antennas and antenna cables in set lengths.