Finally getting my truck painted (a horror story)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have no words for what they did to your truck, im speechless

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a $400 Macco paint job on a old ranger that looked 10x better than that. That ***** a joke.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I feel your pain, although I wasn't out money since mine was through insurance. I got rear ended 4 years ago and the back of the cab had to be pulled out and the bed replaced. A couple years ago the clear started peeling everywhere it was sprayed, contacted shop and they went **** up. To get my truck respected it'll cost me 6K+ to have it done "right" so I'm going to bed line my truck like (derekp).

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
So the weather finally cleared up enough to wash the truck and take a few more pics.

View attachment 79818 they literally wet sanded the side view mirrors [emoji35]

View attachment 79819 View attachment 79820 bad paint around door handles

View attachment 79821 yep, those are white PITS in the rear quarter panel paint

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

it's like I'm looking under water or looking thru beer goggles, on that one pic with the white spots. wow. I did a way, way better job painting my friend's car on the parking strip in front of my house. And that was my first paint job.

LuckyRosco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015, 2007, 1997
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 3.7 Two Mice and a Rubber Band, 5.9
I hate to say this, but your best bet is to let someone else reclear the truck for you. Your new paint job is riddled with fisheyes. The only way to correct the paint is to repaint or reclear the vehicle, or have someone spray bedliner over the entire truck. I have a feeling from the pictures you provided that it will start peeling around the door handles in 1-2 years.

When I first read the amount you paid I knew what the truck was going to look like. I spent $900 just for paint material to paint my bed cover. I did the bodywork and prepped the bedcover, and I let my friend paint it for me. (He's the painter at the local Dodge dealership in Beaumont, TX). If I would've just brought it to a bodyshop it would've cost me at least $1400. The old saying "You get what you pay for" is the truest statement.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I hate to say this, but your best bet is to let someone else reclear the truck for you. Your new paint job is riddled with fisheyes. The only way to correct the paint is to repaint or reclear the vehicle, or have someone spray bedliner over the entire truck. I have a feeling from the pictures you provided that it will start peeling around the door handles in 1-2 years.

When I first read the amount you paid I knew what the truck was going to look like. I spent $900 just for paint material to paint my bed cover. I did the bodywork and prepped the bedcover, and I let my friend paint it for me. (He's the painter at the local Dodge dealership in Beaumont, TX). If I would've just brought it to a bodyshop it would've cost me at least $1400. The old saying "You get what you pay for" is the truest statement.

Well, that's what I get for trusting a business owner to deliver what he promised. I guess if it's too good to be true, it really isn't for real.

He says he'll have time after Thanksgiving to get the truck back in.

Stay tuned folks. [emoji12]

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Dropped the truck off on Tuesday with a delivery date of Friday (today) for fixing all the paint flaws.

Text the owner at 0900 asking if we're still good for 5pm today. Yep he says.

Shop manager calls me at 4pm saying truck won't be ready until Monday and I tell him that's unacceptable and that I need the truck by tomorrow afternoon at the latest. He says lemme see what I can do.

Calls me back 15 minutes later saying truck will be ready tomorrow at 2pm.

So let's see what happens now.

Stay tuned, folks.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I can say is you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
All I can say is you get what you pay for.

Yep, I've heard that over and over again on this thread. The paint job is covered by a 5 year warranty and it looks like it'll take me that long to get the paint work straight. [emoji12]

At least I'm not coming out of pocket for anymore cash and I'm blessed to have other vehicles to get to/from work while it's in the shop.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Finally getting my truck painted

All I can say is ugh!!!!!! [emoji35]

I dropped the truck off Tuesday and marked all the flaws with painters tape so the shop knew exactly what needed to be fixed.

I even emailed him a description of all the issues to be fixed along with the inspection/gig sheet the office manager and I did when I got the truck back after wet sanding and buffing on 1 November. All the problems were called out then other than pointing out the roof issues as I ran out of energy writing gigs.

Image1482026863.488282.jpgImage1482026877.713327.jpgImage1482026896.303773.jpgImage1482026918.131598.jpgImage1482026927.395456.jpg

Essentially every panel had something wrong to include the roof, which was the original motivation to get the truck painted. The entire roof had paint failure.

When I showed up today neither the owner nor office manager were there.

I get the truck and only the passenger side is done. They even left the tape residue on the other panels and left the blue tape intact on the roof!!!!

They had just reshot the center of the bed with bed liner as what they did in the past was already failing in spots. They didn't even bother to reshoot the sides that had chips and failure while they were at it.

I called the owner and he immediately got defensive saying the roof wasn't his problem to fix and the other areas just had "minor imperfections" that didn't need fixing.

I told him I'm done and he'd be hearing from my lawyer.

Ahhh, the joys of small claims court.

Footnote: he sent me a text saying if I go the court route he'd send me a bill for the headlight and taillight installation plus painting the plastic strip on my rear bumper with texture paint - items he said the shop would do (and did) for free. Plus some wacky claim that I'd be billed for defects in the body that caused issues with the paint?!?!

This guy is such a poor professional.

Last edited:

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure how court will go for you but good luck. I don't really know what you could get besides your money back because they obviously can't fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Finally getting my truck painted

Not sure how court will go for you but good luck. I don't really know what you could get besides your money back because they obviously can't fix it.

Yep, not expecting 100% of the money back. Figure they've done a half-assed job thus far so 50% refunds sounds about right.

Also, upon further inspection on the side that they DID redo this time, there are 2 massive runs on the driver side front quarter panel. Imagine that.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watch a lot of judge Judy, so here's my opinion on this lol.

When you go to court, they are probably going to compare the price you paid against estimates from other shops to do the same work. If they determine that you got a job that is acceptable compared to what you could have paid, there may not be much you can do.

Yes they did a half ass job. But if the court determines that you only paid half of what other reputable shops would charge, they may not help you much.

Personally I would still take them to court just because he is trying to intimidate you with extra bills. Tell him to send the bills, they'll go straight in the trash and you'll see him in court.

This is a tricky topic because you get what you pay for and while yes you did pay a very low price, the shop should have known that no one would accept a vehicle looking like that and if they couldn't make it look at least half decent they never should have quoted you or done the work in the first place. This is the point that you will have to push in court. Unfortunately this happens to people a lot when they get a bargain price.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This sucks for you man. Have you weighed the cost of the lawyer and your time going to small claims court vs just taking the truck to a more reputable shop and paying to have it fixed the right way? It is terrible the way these guys have screwed you over and good luck in going the small claims route. Just hope it's worth the additional costs and time.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Sorry to hear you got shafted.. Ill add get a est. from a quality shop on their cost to repair all the screw ups. Keep a log of every conversation you have with the shop owner, Time and date ! Make notes on his threat on extra charges, Name time date etc.. Bring detailed pics of the truck to court,
And even though you got a bargain price you are entitled to a good job!

Also file a complaint to the BBB Better Business Bureau

Good luck