First detail on my new Ram BigHorn crew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least they didn't use a roller----I know it isn't funny when it's your truck--sorry for my sick sense of humor.
Jay

apeek22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck is brand new off the lot, you shouldn't need to clay bar it. Clay actually removes a light layer of paint as it scubs the imperfections that have worked into your clear coat. You shouldn't need to clay more than twice a year. Just a wax job with a good synthetic wax should do fine. I use microfiber rags to dry water spots off. That alone looks like a wax job.

Do you have any particular brand you prefer? I *hear* buying the cheap ones could potentially put very light scratches in the clear coat.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
All clay sold in the US is made by the same company. They own the patent and EVERYONE buys their clay from them. There are different grades of clay, but 99% of what you'll see for the consumer is clear coat safe. All clay will put some micro hazing in the paint, but that's what the PC or Flex is for. I personally buy my clay from the UK.

As for microfiber, do the cd or DVD test with the MF and you'll see which ones are best. Rub hard on the cd or DVD with your MF. If it leaves scratches, it's junk. You get what you pay for. One thing to look for is tags on the MF. If they have tags, they're not worth touching your paint with. I personally use Adams Polishes for all my detailing needs. With their 110% guarantee and amazing forum support, it's hard to beat. Again, you get what you pay for and will be amazed at the differences. I once bought all my stuff at the big box stores, but no more. You'll find that a better product makes the job quicker and easier as well as more enjoyable.

Remember, only wash MF with MF and not other clothes and use only liquid detergents. You don't want to contaminate it with cotton or other fibers.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

Last edited:

usmfan789

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At least they didn't use a roller----I know it isn't funny when it's your truck--sorry for my sick sense of humor.
Jay

yea well they way it sticks out they just might've lol..... and two weeks after i bought the truck some ******** put a dime sized ding into my passenger door i almost lost my mind....

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have a couple of "Paintless Dent Removal" businesses here in Austin. I have seeen some of their work and they do a really good job. They mostly fix door dings and some hail damage. You might check in your area.
Jay