First Extended Warranty or Mopar Extended Warranty??? Which is best??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickkimbrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram Megacab Diesel
Engine
Have had several 3rd party extended warranties. Some with no issue at all and their coverage was excellent. Remember, I said "some". The last one...the company went out of business or something. Since that time I have only had the Mopar one.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve only been selling cars for 15 years, so take this with a grain of salt. [...]
That's it, only 15 years? Lol...

I also have been in the car business a long time...all my life. Garage owner and used car sales. [...]

At my age now...I just don't want to work on personal vehicles... especially on heavy iron with a diesel engine...sooo I bought a new dually and all the warranty I could get. To be honest that's the only reason I bought a new vehicle, warranty! The last thing I want to have to worry about is a new transmission..or electrical problem an a late model vehicle.

I didn't really have to have that kind of truck now...but I felt like I owed myself at least one new truck in my lifetime, dealer or not, and the Laramie Longhorn leather interiors just knock me out...[...]

I have a well equipped shop and a full time mechanic still (not a real diesel guy though)...and wake up at night thinking spending 70K on a pickup is probably the dumbest thing I've ever done...but I get over it as soon as I get in it the next morning to make the rounds. [...]

Good story Stan... I'm not "as old as you", but I was in the business for quite some time and am old enough that with the new Ram I bought a couple months back, it might be my last (new) anyway. I didn't buy a $70k but it feels like it to me, but every time I get in it to drive I have a smile on my face and zero regrets... congrats and enjoy!

As with the general consensus, for anyone reading this, I concur with everyone else - go Mopar. I purchased a lifetime/unlimited mileage recently. If I never have to use it, great, but I'll sleep much better down the road knowing I have it if I need it.

Cheers to your Rams!

mmcglynn264

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a certified pre-owned 2017 Ram and paid for an extended warranty so I was covered for the life of the loan. Just looked up my information only to find what I assumed was a factory extended warranty is actually a 3rd party warranty with Fidelity Warranty Services. you would think they would tell you that when you ask to buy an extended warranty! I only bought the truck on February 10th so I'm still within the 30 to cancel and get 100% of the warranty cost back ($2978 for 7yr/70,000). Any advice on how to proceed would be great. I don't have the $$ to buy it separately which is why I tried to roll it into the load in the first place.

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any advice on how to proceed would be great. I don't have the $$ to buy it separately which is why I tried to roll it into the load in the first place.

Talk to the dealer first, see if they can switch it over for you somehow to a Mopar... might be able to work it that way. If not, try the bank itself... because you do have that refund coming, it will be either given to you or the lender and applied to the loan... somebody should work with you on it.

They'll have to do a little extra work so they'll probably try to talk you out of it, but insist on it and tell them either way you're cancelling - you thought it was a factory/manufacturer warranty... you should be able to get it done somehow...

goldtr8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a certified pre-owned 2017 Ram and paid for an extended warranty so I was covered for the life of the loan. Just looked up my information only to find what I assumed was a factory extended warranty is actually a 3rd party warranty with Fidelity Warranty Services. you would think they would tell you that when you ask to buy an extended warranty! I only bought the truck on February 10th so I'm still within the 30 to cancel and get 100% of the warranty cost back ($2978 for 7yr/70,000). Any advice on how to proceed would be great. I don't have the $$ to buy it separately which is why I tried to roll it into the load in the first place.

You can purchase the Mopar maxcare over the internet check for your self and at that price you should be not much more for a lifetime with the deductible.

tanktop

Reaction score

The Fidelity warranty is a good warranty and you shouldn’t have any issues. That said, it’s always easiest to get warranty claims paid at the original dealer. That’s the biggest plus to a manufacturers warranty, take it to any factory dealer and there’s almost no issue ever. So if you’re going to service it where you bought it I would leave it alone.

If you purchased less than 30 days ago you can ask to switch to a factory warranty but they may not even sell them. If you choose this path DO NOT CALL, show up around 10am and bring donuts “because they’re such great guys”! You already signed a contract, they don’t have to do anything for you and you’re asking the business manager to make less money which is not their favorite thing. Good luck and let us know what you decided...!!!

PS, you may loose the donuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I am thinking about getting the lifetime power train warranty. My factory power train warranty on my 2013 expires in about 3 weeks. Was just in dealer to replace shift solenoid and broken exhaust manifold bolts. Just wondering if I have to take to dealer for oil changes, axle fluid, spark plugs etc, dealers way overcharge for some simple maint items. Now reading more, I don't think I qualify, since my truck is over 4 years old and I am not original owner, even though I still have power train warranty till end of March. I was wanting a lifetime extended power train plan.

Last edited:

tbaker65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now reading more, I don't think I qualify, since my truck is over 4 years old and I am not original owner, even though I still have power train warranty till end of March. I was wanting a lifetime extended power train plan.
You probably aren't eligible for a Mopar lifetime; I do think you have to be the original owner. You can input your info here to check: https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/care/mopar-vehicle-protection.html

If you really want an extended powertrain warranty (service contract) you can get a 3rd party - that might be your only option. Shop around... Good luck.

ethanmhanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am a finance manager for a CJDRF dealership, and what is said about the third party warranty making the dealer more money is not true.

FESC(First Extended Service Contracts) have a SET price and profit. So everyone gets the same price. Of course you can adjust the options(Miles, terms, deductibles, type of coverage etc.) to make the prices different.
MOPAR warranties have a set cost but can be adjusted to any sale price. They can sell it for near cost or mark it up above MSRP.

I always like the idea of a MOPAR warrnty because they use real MOPAR parts to fix the vehicle. Some third party warranties use whatever they can get (used,junkyard etc.)
FESC does not use junkyard parts but will use parts other than MOPAR.

And also with a MOPAR warranty you can use it at any MOPAR dealership.

Get with a finance manager you trust and ask to get the best price. Of corse they need to make some money and it DOES cost them to sell it, so don't be the guy that says they can sell it for $200 or less. We will hate you.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a Nissan dealer locally that never sells a Nissan factory warranty unless the customer demands it...he always sells only aftermarket warranties that he swears are just as good but cheaper to the customer.

My son worked for him for a short time and said it is all crap....cost to the customer is about 3% less than factory but their profit is 25% more....and the warranty is crap....on used cars, there is always an issue of "pre-existing conditions". On new cars, it is always an issue of "customer neglect" or "customer abuse", and they deny claims constantly.

Factory Chrysler warranty is the absolute only way to go!!! I'd cancel the aftermarket warranty and take the proceeds to buy the Chrysler warranty...I've never had a problem with the factory warranty, whether it be from Chrysler, ford or GM

mmcglynn264

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Fidelity warranty is a good warranty and you shouldn’t have any issues. That said, it’s always easiest to get warranty claims paid at the original dealer. That’s the biggest plus to a manufacturers warranty, take it to any factory dealer and there’s almost no issue ever. So if you’re going to service it where you bought it I would leave it alone.

If you purchased less than 30 days ago you can ask to switch to a factory warranty but they may not even sell them. If you choose this path DO NOT CALL, show up around 10am and bring donuts “because they’re such great guys”! You already signed a contract, they don’t have to do anything for you and you’re asking the business manager to make less money which is not their favorite thing. Good luck and let us know what you decided...!!!

PS, you may loose the donuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To clarify, this is about a certified used 2017 Big Horn with 19k miles I bought from a dealership in February 2018.
Took multiple phone calls. Guy kept giving me the runaround. Finally, when he realized that I wasn't going away, he emailed me the cancelation of the fidelity warranty and the paperwork to initiate the Mopar warranty. Bottom line was fidelity warranty forced me to use that dealership and if I have an issue with their service, the Mopar warranty allows me to go to any dealership. Secondly, the fidelity has a provision that they can use aftermarket or used parts. Also the fidelity warranty was for 7 years starting the date I signed it (2/16/2018) but also only was for 70k miles. Mopar was 7 years 100k miles from original purchase of the vehicle (3/10/2017). Plus the Mopar warranty was almost $400 cheaper! Please do the math and let me know if I was being ripped off. Why would he not offer me a Mopar warranty first? This was Motorworld dodge in PA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm one of the few people who would never ever pay for a warranty. Warranties are supposed to be free.

The amount of money that I've saved from never paying for a warranty for tires, for automobiles, for electronics, for furniture, and for any other paid warranty over the past 30 years is staggering.

They make far bigger profit margins on an extended warranty than they do on a vehicle. Looking at it the other way, you are far more likely to lose money on the deal than they are, and they have the claims information to prove it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963