first gear transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sundown57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a long shot but have to ask any way, I have a97 ram 1500. 5,2 motor. i noticed when i first take off in the am i seem to have to give it a lot of gas before it moves. it doesn't seem to slip it more like hesitates then grabs. I also notice when its warmed up and i take off from a stop it does the same thing it send to hesitate then grab all at once. once it grabs it goes fine I have even tried climbing crazy hills in first to see if it would slip and it never does. Just slow to take off. Any one know of a fast cheap and easy fix ?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
One possibility is the truck is starting in second or third gear because it's sticking. Another possibility is the torque converter could be going out. First thing is a fluid and filter change, then see what it does.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
If you put it in manual 1 does it take off normal?

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
First thing I would do is check the trans fluid level before assuming anything else is wrong. If it is low, it can cause all sorts of weird shifting issues.

1. Make sure the truck/trans is at normal operating temperature.
2. Park the truck level area.
3. While the truck is running shift through all the gears (PRND21), pausing a second in each gear.
4. Put your E-brake on (Make sure you know your e-brake will hold you truck still!!).
5. Shift transmission into neutral.
6. Check fluid level.

When reading the stick, make sure that you look for where the fluid shows across the whole width of the dip stick. When I check mine, I sometimes get streaks on one side of the stick which makes it look like it's over filled. That is in accurate.

I think a lot of times we over look the simple things and automatically assume the worse with our trucks, especially with the transmissions (given their history of problems).

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it takes off hard when it grabs it's likely in the right gear, but it sounds like the torque converter is failing to lock up at low rpm. Sportramoo may be correct as low transmission fluid could cause this as well as a Trans filter restriction. Could still be a bad torque converter or valve in the valve body problem as well though. If it shifts normally while in motion including highway speeds and on hills and it's only from a stop it's probably not something that will require a Trans rebuild unless you keep running it that way as it puts a lot of stress on the driveline when you engage suddenly at higher rpms. Drag racers can attest to that.

OP
OP
sundown57

sundown57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i solved the problem. bought an nv4500 with all the fixings. I'm sick of automatics

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well that's not a cheap easy fix. Hope the conversion goes well for you.