First oil change for this truck. Synthetic was expensive!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, I’m posting this in case other people are interested in switching to synthetic. If you have the service plan of free oil change and tire rotation the added cost of synthetic will run you $90!!!!! Not sure I will continue down this road. Considering I technically paid for 7 quarts of conventional oil. On top they charge me full price for 7 quarts of synthetic. Not the difference in price.

The service rep told me next time to get my oil elsewhere and bring it in so they can use it. To me that seems like a **** move. They’ll probably just keep my oil and put in their stuff LOL. I’m tempted to get Mobil 1 syn when it’s on sale [emoji12]

Other people’s experience would be good to hear. Maybe I got ripped off [emoji35].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would say charging someone 90 bucks for the synthetic upgrade is the **** move. I wouldn't be buying another vehicle from that dealer, and when it comes time to buy another vehicle, drive it buy there and tell them you used someone else because they make **** moves.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that's sure way to lose a customer. I have a 4 year service plan with synthetic and rotations on mine, they threw it in for free along with Nav for 1/2 price to make the sale.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
**** move by the dealership for sure. For that price you could use top shelf oil, some call it boutique oil, and a royal purple synthetic filter and change it yourself.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I’m posting this in case other people are interested in switching to synthetic. If you have the service plan of free oil change and tire rotation the added cost of synthetic will run you $90!!!!! Not sure I will continue down this road. Considering I technically paid for 7 quarts of conventional oil. On top they charge me full price for 7 quarts of synthetic. Not the difference in price.

The service rep told me next time to get my oil elsewhere and bring it in so they can use it. To me that seems like a **** move. They’ll probably just keep my oil and put in their stuff LOL. I’m tempted to get Mobil 1 syn when it’s on sale [emoji12]

Other people’s experience would be good to hear. Maybe I got ripped off [emoji35].

On my 14 I had 4 free oil changes and let them use whatever they used. With my 17 I bring my store bought Penn Plat with Fram Ultra filter and they charge $14 to change it while I watch them. There's no way for them to pull the ol' switcharoo while I watch them. I doubt they would anyway.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Noticed last couple days when starting the RPM’s go high like usual and usually they slowly climb back down over a 20-30 second period. Last couple days it’s been harsh drop within 5 seconds to normal. Could this be the motor getting the oil quicker and more efficiently ? Never had this issue before

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I didn't like the dealer's move on service for my CTD either.

So I went to a local oil change & service chain I've used for my other trucks and the price is much more reasonable.

I see the individual bottles of oil being put in the truck, not some no name who knows what is being used stuff pumped from a bulk barrel.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
shotty for sure

I've never bought into those service plans, change my own oil and carry an amsoil license supplying my own product. Just seems like a lot of hassle heading into the dealer where as opening the fumoto and pulling the filter at home isn't. Just my 0.2

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Search online for coupons, I recently found a mopar coupon for a synthetic oil change for 29.99 then you have to buy the 6 and 7 (2qrts) of oil. I paid right around $45 for it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
$90 buck for a synthetic oil change??..and they say EcoDiesel oil changes are expensive. I just bought 3 gallons of full synthetic Rotella T-6 and the OEM filter for less than that.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could almost do 2 oil changes yourself for that price with royal purple.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use syn oil every 5K. Ill change it in my garage and it will run me about $65-70

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of folks do. It's not what it used to be, but it's decent. I used it once in my 06 ram, but I burned a lot more oil using it, so i switched back to mobil.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah it seems all the oil companies are not producing the top quality oil they once did.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
You can buy redline and royal purple filter and change yourself for that price and have the best!

Luis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Don't use Mobil 1, its not Chrysler MS-6395 certified. If you want inexpensive synthetic use Penzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability which you can get at walmart for 20 -23 bucks per 5qt jug

Whats wrong with Mobil1 besides not being MS-6395 certified? Is there any other issues with it?

Ive ran Mobil1 on all my vehicles and have never had an issue with it, I'm actually very happy with Mobil1 and use the product as often as I can.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Whats wrong with Mobil1 besides not being MS-6395 certified? Is there any other issues with it?

Ive ran Mobil1 on all my vehicles and have never had an issue with it, I'm actually very happy with Mobil1 and use the product as often as I can.

Mobil 1 use to the the staple at the dealers. Apparently they weren’t paying their bills so they got dumped by Mobil 1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye