First oil change for this truck. Synthetic was expensive!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal purple no longer has moly. It's not only royal purple, several have stopped using moly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Why? Explain your thoughts.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L
Mod list: Pedal Commander, AVS Vent shades, Solo Delete kit, molar side step rails

Royal Purple oil is not what it used to be they changed the additives.
There was a UOA on here somewhere showing its just not that good of oil like it was.
Not saying if you use it you are going to have problems just that for the price PYP, QSUD or other oils are just as good or better for a lesser price.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As for otc consider m1 top tier oil. Especially the 0w30, which is a great choice for a hemi if you are in snow country. PUP as well, can't go wrong their 0w40 is super class, thin enough to be considered a 5w30. While other companies are going away from high quality base oils, lowering their calcium, lowering their zinc, lowering their viscosity, PUP has always been something different and better then the field. Wear numbers prove it.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
BUT really not any better than Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum........

Ms 6395 is bs, haven't heard of any warranty denials because of brand of oil. I'm currently running M1 EP and it's running great, hell of alot better than Pennzoil platinum.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That being said, I think Pennzoil has come a long way with their oils and ran PYB for the first 2 changes for 5000 miles or so. Now I run Platinum for about 8500 miles.

Is it advisable to do the first short-cycle change or two in a new engine with conventional oil due to breaking in better? Or do most people switch to synthetic at the first change?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Depends on which synthetic, if you use something like Redline they say right on the bottle do not use prior to the engine being broken in, and they mean it. You actually want the sharp edges of a new engine to wear down, thus is why they have high zinc in break in oils. Redline is known for being butter smooth, you want to avoid that type of oil for break in. But if you are doing a short interval to get metals out, no reason to now use a conventional for a couple thousand miles. BTW see my oil filter thread in my sig if you haven't already, spun microglass filtration is the way to go when you do start using synthetics.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never tried the ultra platinum, not gonna play let's make a deal with Amazon or wait for someone to get it in stock. If you wanna sell oil at least have it in stock.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

FCA influenced Pennzoil on Ultra, it is made with more detergents then platinum as keeping that engine clean is of the utmost importance. Better is always a consumer point of view, they certainly are different oils.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
But if you are doing a short interval to get metals out, no reason to now use a conventional for a couple thousand miles. BTW see my oil filter thread in my sig if you haven't already, spun microglass filtration is the way to go when you do start using synthetics.

Thanks Burla - I plan to run PUP with one of your rec'd filters. I don't see any pressing need to run synthetic until I've done a shorter change with PYB, especially since it is cheap and rumored to be what they are already using for break-in.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And another thing, anyone that goes to a dealer with their 5.7 or 3.6 and requests PUP and dealer says they put it in you'd better verify it. The 3 dealers that are within 20 miles of me only stock 0/40 on a limited basis, can't even get 5/20 or 5/30 PUP.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can't predict stock availability on any item. However, its been an instock item for about 2 months at walmart now.

There was a slight production delay earlier in the year in Qatar.. One of few natural gas to oil refineries.

Today, yes. Tomorrow, maybe

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
you'll read 10 different forums, and you'll get 10 different answers.

Is there really such a thing as "break-in oil"?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you'll read 10 different forums, and you'll get 10 different answers.

Is there really such a thing as "break-in oil"?
Yes, there is such a thing, break-in oil and break in additive. Some manufactures use it some don't. Mostly guys that rebuild their own engines use it.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does RAM use break in oil/addtives? I figured 800 miles was enough for any "break-in".
and FCA is such a fan of Pennzoil Ultra.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does RAM use break in oil/addtives? I figured 800 miles was enough for any "break-in".
and FCA is such a fan of Pennzoil Ultra.
I really don't know if they do or don't for sure but I don't think so. I did my first oil change at 1200 miles, did 2 more at 1500 miles each. Now I'm on my regular schedule of 6 months 5/6 thousand miles.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the PUP is concerned the best thing to do is buy it in bulk. Last year amazon had it on sale for like $24 for a five gallon jug so I bought 6 jugs at one time. Pennzoil was also running a 2$ per quart rebate at the time which dropped the price even more. You can also set up your Amazon(if you have one that is)to let you know when its in stock/on sale too I believe. That being said I would still consider switching to Redline when my supply has been exhausted.