First thing I don’t like about my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The more I read posts like these about the auto park and the “need” to disable, the more curious I get, so now I’ve got to comment on it. I’ve been driving for 25 years now, and I’ve driven all kinds of cars and trucks, and have backed up all different kinds of trailers in the tightest of spots. We’ve got rear view mirrors, adjustable passenger and driver side mirrors, driver side windows that can be rolled down to stick your head out of, backup cameras, front park sensors, and rear park sensors. I have NEVER come across a situation where I had to open the door while the vehicle was moving! Now, reading all these posts about people ******** about the auto park, I can’t come up with one situation, but I can’t even fathom that this is a common occurrence. So, what are some of these instances that people are moving around with their driver door open?

Have to agree with this. I've been driving or over 40 years and can't remember the last time I had to open my door to back up, or for any other reason while driving.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Have to agree with this. I've been driving or over 40 years and can't remember the last time I had to open my door to back up, or for any other reason while driving.
Been driving about the same amount of time. What if I simply WANT to open the door while backing up?

Anyway, you need examples. It's convenient when putting a boat into a lake, when teaching your kid how to parallel park, when trying to get into a tight spot in a parking ramp, etc. The situations are rare but they do come up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I held a Class A CDL in the past and was dragging 53' trailers around with a sleeper semi and backed those trailers into places and between obstacles with literally inches of clearance. Never opened a door to do it. Not sure how opening a door helps with parallel parking. The curb's on the opposite side of the vehicle.

Now, there is something I do regularly that I open the door and move the vehicle I'm in. That is when I'm putting tire dressing on them. I do the top half of the tires, hop in the truck and move it while the door is open to watch the rear tire make a half revolution in order to finish the tire dressing application. I'll just have to guess with the new one.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Literally just backed my truck down my driveway with the door open. Not because I needed to. I could have just as easily shut the door and backed up the 4 or so feet to give the landscapers room to carry the palm tree fronds room to carry them without brushing the front end of my new truck, but it was easier not to close the door.

But it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Literally just backed my truck down my driveway with the door open. Not because I needed to. I could have just as easily shut the door and backed up the 4 or so feet to give the landscapers room to carry the palm tree fronds room to carry them without brushing the front end of my new truck, but it was easier not to close the door.

But it worked fine.

I was going to edit my post but instead I’ll take my lumps. I stand corrected. Landscapers left and I was going to pull back up closer to the garage, sure enough the truck wasn’t having any of it. Seems silly but guess it falls in the category of safety. I could think of a handful of reasons why you shouldn’t/wouldn’t want the truck to drive with the door open and none why it should that don’t fall under the category of my laziness [emoji3]

Although, why is reverse Ok?

Jeffnc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram
Engine
I held a Class A CDL in the past and was dragging 53' trailers around with a sleeper semi and backed those trailers into places and between obstacles with literally inches of clearance. Never opened a door to do it. Not sure how opening a door helps with parallel parking. The curb's on the opposite side of the vehicle.

Now, there is something I do regularly that I open the door and move the vehicle I'm in. That is when I'm putting tire dressing on them. I do the top half of the tires, hop in the truck and move it while the door is open to watch the rear tire make a half revolution in order to finish the tire dressing application. I'll just have to guess with the new one.

Never opens a door to see. I highly doubt that

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
The dam wobble between 55-60. Can’t get rid of it. Three sets of tires and same crap.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Why it’s the first thing I hate ? Like the title. Wooops lol

I get the Ram enthusiasm but a lot of the 5th Gen threads are getting contaminated with previous generation issues and pictures which are not representative of the latest generation.

I'm on the 5th Gen to find out things about 2019's. I'll jump on the 4th Gen section to find out issues related to them if I want.

valvestem

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The more I read posts like these about the auto park and the “need” to disable, the more curious I get, so now I’ve got to comment on it. I’ve been driving for 25 years now, and I’ve driven all kinds of cars and trucks, and have backed up all different kinds of trailers in the tightest of spots. We’ve got rear view mirrors, adjustable passenger and driver side mirrors, driver side windows that can be rolled down to stick your head out of, backup cameras, front park sensors, and rear park sensors. I have NEVER come across a situation where I had to open the door while the vehicle was moving! Now, reading all these posts about people ******** about the auto park, I can’t come up with one situation, but I can’t even fathom that this is a common occurrence. So, what are some of these instances that people are moving around with their driver door open?

In a nutshell, off-road drivers who need to know when a wheel is just starting to slip, or going over an obstacle.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In a nutshell, off-road drivers who need to know when a wheel is just starting to slip, or going over an obstacle.
How would you know about the passenger side tires?

userjh160

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't hate it, but I wish the non-headlight drls were brighter. Hard to tell if they're on or if something is just catching a little sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
I get the Ram enthusiasm but a lot of the 5th Gen threads are getting contaminated with previous generation issues and pictures which are not representative of the latest generation.

I'm on the 5th Gen to find out things about 2019's. I'll jump on the 4th Gen section to find out issues related to them if I want.

**** did not even realize it.. my bad

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahaaa! So now he can only drive when he’s got a passenger.

Not what was said.......but if he is going rock climbing, and is worried about damage or not knowing where his passengers side tires are......yes.

Me personally, I knew where the passengers side tires were by looking knowing where the drivers side were.

Gots to know your rig when doing that stuff.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is everyone jumping on his case for wanting to disable it? All these "I've been driving and never needed it" is unnecessary. I've only been driving for 30 years, but I USE my truck for a lot of very often. Pulling trees out, hauling snowmobiles, rocks, ATV, going into elk country etc.

I can think of numerous times I've needed (or just wanted to) open my door to see how close I was to my boulder retaining wall when my tailgate is down and I have something in the back, and the mirror isn't cutting it. Pulling up on ramps if needed is another, not that I need to due to my lift on this vehicle.

So why do I need to justify why, when the point was how to disable? He didn't say he liked Ford's better.... Does anyone know how to disable for him? Mine doesn't do this as it's a 16 Sport. Not sure if it ever had the feature enabled as I have an unlocked and tuned PCM.

I was able to disable my auto headlights (I dislike this feature and I paid for the truck) in the settings, but not sure you can do this.

This forum can be great, but quit the crappy responses if you can't help.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So why do I need to justify why, when the point was how to disable? He didn't say he liked Ford's better.... Does anyone know how to disable for him? Mine doesn't do this as it's a 16 Sport. Not sure if it ever had the feature enabled as I have an unlocked and tuned PCM.
I posted a product that will disable the feature. It’s a pass through seatbelt buckle adapter, and being that one of the requirements for auto park to kick on is the seatbelt being unbuckled, the truck will always think you’re buckled.