First Truck, 03 - 1500, Some troubleshooting questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpuwhiz22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first truck. I am very excited as I have had SUVs in the past, but due to me towing a lot more these days I decided I needed something that was built for it instead of driving my Jeep into an early grave.

Anyhow, the truck is a 2003 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.9L V8. It has 79K miles. Everything seemed fine when I test drove and purchased the truck, but I am new to trucks so I may not have really paid as close of attention as I should have. Anyhow, the one thing I noticed immediately after I took ownership was that when I first start it up and am backing out of the driveway, it seems the first turn of the wheel is very stiff, as if there is no power steering. However this only last seconds and as I turn the wheel the other way it seems smooth and is fine thereafter. It is Michigan, so cold, but I wanted to check and see if this is typical, or something that I should worry about or could be fixed.

The next thing, which has me a little more concerned, is that after driving it for two days with no alerts or anything, the brake and ABS lights came on yesterday, and then eventually went off. They came on randomly a second time after that, and then went off after a while too. A quick google seems to indicate that this could be metal in the differential housing messing with a magnetic sensor, but I wanted to post here and see what others thought.

Also, after the brake and ABS lights went out, a little later the check engine light came on. I have not yet read the code, but this was also something I read of experiencing with the metal in the differential housing issue, so maybe that is all it is.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am really excited about this truck, however having these sort of things pop up 48 hours after transfer of ownership has me feeling nervous.

Thanks!
Pat

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Did you check the truck out before you purchased it and check the fluids like brake fluids and oil? The 5.9 360 is a very good engine I know I owned one.Also if you don't have enough brake fluid it will set off ABS light and you will have to bleed the brake lines of air.

robg_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l magnum
Side note, turn ignition on and off rapidly leaving it on the 3rd time and your engine codes will flash on odometer. I learned this after 3 trips to the parts store to get it checked.

Pretty handy trick.