Fixed my tilt today so a heads up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tilt stopped working a while back so I figured the cable had broken. I took the covers off today and did a little poking around. Turns out the cable was fine but there is a small plastic tab that had broken and let everything come loose.
I didn't think to take pics so I will try to describe it.
The cable goes from the lever to a small black box. From the box it goes over the actual tilt pin to get to the other side of the column. At the end off the cable is a small black plastic c shaped hook with teeth. This attaches to a white gear that is on the tilt pin. This gear is what rotates to pull the tilt pin back and free the column (it's spring loaded). On the gear is a small white c shaped tab. This is supposed to go on top of the black hook and hold it to the gear. This is what was broken and it is really flimsy. So I grabbed some super glue and a tie wrap. I glued the hook onto the gear then wrapped the tie wrap around the whole thing to help spread some of the pull from the cable to the whole hook instead of the very end of it.

Sorry if this is vague but if your tilt ever breaks take a look and instead will make sense. Hopefully if you have a problem it will be this easy fix instead of having to change the whole tilt system.

j1877p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Thanks for the heads up.

mikem8560

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Magnum V8
are you talking tilt wheel? I didn't think the 2nd gens had tilt wheels

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
are you talking tilt wheel? I didn't think the 2nd gens had tilt wheels

Yeah they did. Little knob on the left side of the column near the shifter. Pull towards yourself and wheel should move up and down now. If you have it anyways. Not ALL had it...i think. I think it was an option that most came with anyways

mikem8560

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Magnum V8
mine was a stripo no power windows or door-locks no AC till I moved to florida