Fixing exhaust manifold bolts under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 which came with lifetime warranty...

For the original owner... all others got 3/36 I believe. So when both sides failed before 100k I was still screwed. I am now at 145k and doing them again!

So were the original owner? If so, how were you screwed if you had a lifetime warranty?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So were the original owner? If so, how were you screwed if you had a lifetime warranty?

If you bought an 09 used you only got 3 yr/ 36,000 miles. No warranty after that on Power train or bumper to bumper.

I was not the original owner I bought at 27,000 miles.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is fixed, well I think. The dealership replaced 4 bolts and gasket, etc. I had a 5pm appointment and I finally left at 8:15pm. No charge because of powertrain warranty (5 years or 100,000)

ImNickJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just watched a video on this. his broke the rear 2 bolts on each side. i don’t have 100 miles yet and you guys are getting me thinking about putting on headers before mine warps and breaks bolts!

dromonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just baught a 2012 ram used from a dealership back at end of march so far uad back for brakes 3 times finnaly i eneded up replacing them all and now i notice broken manifold bolts truck has 60k miles on it and i got a extended warranty for 3 years when i baught hope they will cover if not anyone know average cost to have it do e

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Pretty easy to do yourself if they arent broken flush at the block.

They will just break again. If you are keeping the truck you may wanna put shorty headers on with a upgraded bolt kit

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I’m thinking preemptive strike also. Wonder what it’s gonna run

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m thinking preemptive strike also. Wonder what it’s gonna run
Just off the top of my head I'd say you're looking at $1000 ballpark. $600 +- for shorties, probably 3 to 4 hours labor charge depending on that particular shops labor rate. For someone that's done this before it's probably not a big deal, for someone thats doing it for the first time might be complicated.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jon3006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please tell me how you got this covered under the power train 5yr/10000k warranty. I have a 14 with 75k miles and the dealership said it isn’t covered under powertrain

jpaeth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please tell me how you got this covered under the power train 5yr/10000k warranty. I have a 14 with 75k miles and the dealership said it isn’t covered under powertrain
I just dropped mine off at my local dealer in Idaho today. They confirmed the bolts were broken on the driver side. They are replacing all the bolts on that side, the gasket, and putting on a new manifold under the powertrain warranty. I have a loaner while the truck is in the shop at no cost too... I would say you have a shady dealership if they are saying this isn't a covered fix. Report this to RAM and find a new dealership if its practical where you live.

My plan is to ride this issue out until my powertrain warranty is up, then put on some shorty headers and do a tune

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
u should definitely have them fixed under warranty. make them deal with (drill out ) the broken bolts. then when u put headers on it will be a lot easier and cheaper without broken bolts to start. some places charge 100 or 150 bucks per broken bolt when doing headers. when my headers were done (bbk ceramic coated headers) i didn't have any bolts that broke, i considered myself lucky. definitely have them fix em for free bro. the headers are a easier install on 2wd. my truck is 4wd. it took quite awhile. good luck

Jon3006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pleased to report that after a few phone calls to all the dealerships in my area I found one right by my house that said “of course that’s covered under the power train warranty” I called 3 that said it wasn’t due to it not being an internal lubricated component. It’s there now and should be back in my driveway by Friday. Thank you!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pleased to report that after a few phone calls to all the dealerships in my area I found one right by my house that said “of course that’s covered under the power train warranty” I called 3 that said it wasn’t due to it not being an internal lubricated component. It’s there now and should be back in my driveway by Friday. Thank you!
The excuses dealers come up with.... They deserve Oscars for the script writing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I am hoping some of the hands on experienced members can answer this. This is what I now understand. When the assembly plant fails to properly torque the exhaust manifolds in the proper order and they are left lose. The manifolds can warp due to the high heat that an exhaust leak generates. When they warp, they snap manifold bolts. When this condition is found, you must not only replace the bolts and manifold gaskets. You must either replace the manifolds or have them machine planed to take out the warp.
Do I have the right understanding???

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am hoping some of the hands on experienced members can answer this. This is what I now understand. When the assembly plant fails to properly torque the exhaust manifolds in the proper order and they are left lose. The manifolds can warp due to the high heat that an exhaust leak generates. When they warp, they snap manifold bolts. When this condition is found, you must not only replace the bolts and manifold gaskets. You must either replace the manifolds or have them machine planed to take out the warp.
Do I have the right understanding???
You are right once they are warped they either need to be machined or replaced however I don't know if the factory not torquing properly is the cause of warping or just the heat. From what I've heard this problem is not exclusive to ram, but I guess other manufacturers could have lazy People on the assembly line too.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
You are right once they are warped they either need to be machined or replaced however I don't know if the factory not torquing properly is the cause of warping or just the heat. From what I've heard this problem is not exclusive to ram, but I guess other manufacturers could have lazy People on the assembly line too.

Thank you. Makes sense. What I learned today is that the Vin 3 assembly plant now knows that some 2500 6.4 assembled before 4/2018 had this assembly defect. Supposedly FCA-Ram corrected this with training and closer supervision. The dealer claims that his 2500 6.4 delivery's after 4/2018 have not had this issue,,,so far.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. Makes sense. What I learned today is that the Vin 3 assembly plant now knows that some 2500 6.4 assembled before 4/2018 had this assembly defect. Supposedly FCA-Ram corrected this with training and closer supervision. The dealer claims that his 2500 6.4 delivery's after 4/2018 have not had this issue,,,so far.
They haven't replaced the manifolds on youres yet have they? It amazes me that they know the problem but keep dicking around trying everything else to fix it.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
They haven't replaced the manifolds on youres yet have they? It amazes me that they know the problem but keep dicking around trying everything else to fix it.

No. Your right. I posted the status as of this morning on one of the other many threads on this issue. 7 months of demonstrating the leak and replacing exhaust parts that they suspect are leaking is frustrating. But got to gut it out. I do not want to replace it with a 2019, replace it with a "similar" 2018 or get my money back. They have a technical advisor coming in this week or next. The service manager is solid, but they get no help from FCA or Ram regarding what we and the rest of the Ram world has come to know is the problem. I believe the tech will tell them, replace the exhaust headers and FCA will cover the additional warranty time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye