Flowmaster DIY question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm thinking about installing a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler on my 2001 5.2L. Has anybody done the install at home?

From what I can tell I need 2.5" outlet and inlet with inlet and outlet offset.
Does that sound right?

I would love to hear any tips that would help make the install go smooth.

Last edited:

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
i got same truck and when i did my 40 series i did away with everything after the muffler

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you can weld, it's easy. If not you'll have to source the right mix of adapters and that's really not a great way to do it

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you want to put that much effort into it I'd just get a cat back system that's DIY. I remember getting a Gibson back when I was young and dumb. It was stupid simple to install and sounded nice. It wasn't loud either but by then I got sick of being heard a mile away.

Also last Flowmaster I ran droned pretty hard. Flowmaster Delta 40. Wait until you road trip with that in your ears.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it to an exhaust shop and tell them what you want. They'll weld it in and it'll be cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^ This. I have never done my own exhaust work because there is a local shop down here that does good work and they're cheap as hell. I've had my exhaust worked on by them a couple of times and have never had problems. The owner raised an eyebrow when I went to switch my OEM two-in-one-out catalytic with a one-in-one-out Magnaflow catalytic but he set it up along with a requested fatter y-pipe. Eventually when I get a sweet set of headers and hardware/gaskets, I'll be heading his way.

Also, maybe a little off-topic but my setup with a Cherry Bomb "behaves" pretty well on the highway. If I choose to listen to music at a moderate volume, I hardly know that it's even there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nuts4hotwheels
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you can weld, it's easy. If not you'll have to source the right mix of adapters and that's really not a great way to do it

What adapters? I can get the muffler with the right size inlet and outlet.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
2.5/2.5 inlet and outlet for the muffler. Depends though if the muffler is 2.5 ID (inner diameter) or 2 5 OD (outer diameter). Put a 2.5 OD muffler on 2.5 OD pipe there won't be any slip fit or anything to it.

You'll likely need a 2.5ID muffler to put in place of the factory muffler and an extension with 2.5ID on one side and 2.5OD on the other to make up the length difference. Regular clamps should work fine

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I'm thinking about installing a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler on my 2001 5.2L. Has anybody done the install at home?

From what I can tell I need 2.5" outlet and inlet with inlet and outlet offset.
Does that sound right?

I would love to hear any tips that would help make the install go smooth.

my tip, dont go with flowmaster. It may sound cool at first, but down road you will regret it.

Its loud, obnoxious, and honestly only sounds good at idle.

My suggestion, spend a little bit more money, go with a 12 or 14" magnaflow.

Not only with it flow more air, but it will sound way better!!!!

Take it from me (former flowmaster owner) magnaflow is a great muffler

flows more, sounds better, and stainless steel!! a good QUALITY muffler

V10so_utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 8.0L
my tip, dont go with flowmaster. It may sound cool at first, but down road you will regret it.

Its loud, obnoxious, and honestly only sounds good at idle.

My suggestion, spend a little bit more money, go with a 12 or 14" magnaflow.

Not only with it flow more air, but it will sound way better!!!!

Take it from me (former flowmaster owner) magnaflow is a great muffler

flows more, sounds better, and stainless steel!! a good QUALITY muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
The flowmaster 40 will sound sweet at lower rps's and give you that cool factor for a bit, however in the upper rpm's mine ended up sounding like crap and the drone was atrocious. It turned my long trips into a noisy drony adventure where I couldn't hear me radio, or if I could it sounded bad because of the resonance with the muffler.

If you want an awesome flowing muffler that will give you a nice clean deep rumble I would recommend a Dynomax Super Turbo, lifetime warranty. They have a great sound but not over the top loud, but when you get on it people know, and the good thing is its on sale for $25 shipped. . .

Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler 17733, Offset 2.5 IN / Center 2.5 Out | eBay

I just installed one on my truck a week ago, I bought an 18 inch piece of 2.5" extension and everything fit perfectly for welding. The muffler is 2.5" ID so it will slip right over your existing pipe and you can clamp it, the extension piece I used was 18" long 2.5"ID on one end and 2.5" OD on the other, small end into the muffler, large end clamps over your existing pipe.

Edit: dont laugh at my welding! :idiot:

Attachments

• 20170517_074733.jpg
    20170517_074733.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170517_074742.jpg
    20170517_074742.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah I strongly recommend against Flowmaster. They sound amazing at idle but once you go on a road trip they drone hard, specifically the Flowmaster 40 series. I had one on my old ranger (big mistake) and that little thing droned so hard that I had to usually keep my stereo maxed out just to drown the noise out.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Glad everyone share my same opinion on flowmaster....

I agree, they do sound nice at idle or low rpms, however once you start driving they sound terrible, extremely loud inside and out

Dynomax is a great muffler, i personally like magnaflow products myself.

I think its pretty safe to say that you can do alot better than flowmaster

Budget minded = dynomax. If you spend a little more id highly suggest magnaflow oval in a 12" or 14" case

they sound good and flow alot of air