Fog light wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oryguntroutbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a winch ready bumper to my 08 deisel. The stock fog lights were unplugged and the pigtail is just hanging behind the new bumper. I want to install 4 optilux fog lights in the light tubes of the bumper. I'm wondering if I can wire two lights together on each side (total of four fog lights) into the stock fog light harness. I'm not an electric guy so I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cause any type of overload.

JET

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
1996/2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.9 Magnum/Hemi 5.7
Seems to me if you do that you will draw more current causing a heating problem with your switch.
Just like on Halogen light you can't add a higher watt bulb without issues with your switch.
I did and it melted my light switch on my truck.
Now your current draw might be different on the lights you want to install.
Just like a house plug add to many and you could overload it.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I think it is 55........

JET

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
1996/2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.9 Magnum/Hemi 5.7
Ok talked to my electrician buddy at work today. He said you shouldn't have problem doing it. He suggested that you put a fuse inline between your switch and lights. That way it wouldn't hurt your switch if it ever overloaded.Didn't tell me what size though.
Hope this helps

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
just use the foglight wire for a relay and run bigger gauged wire for your new lights so there will be no worry. If its more than 55 watts I would be worried since it the OEM wires were designed for OEM fog light bulbs. You double the wattage you might run into problems and might over heat the wiring and you will blow the OEM fuse.