Frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
well considering how damaged the lifter wheel looked that is not surprising. the wear on the wheel that shows it has been chewing on metal. i personally don't know if i would consider just tossing a brand new cam and lifters in that engine without completely tearing it apart and making sure the engine is clean. if you wiped out 2 or more lobes like that then there is likely lots of tiny metal particles floating around the engine/oil that might have been pumped through the engine while you were driving it.
Guess the only way to be sure is to remove everything and clean the block.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is the best route go. what is few extra $$ on a complete engine gasket set and cleaning the engine out. that way you will know the engine should last. plus you got to replace the input shaft seal on the transmission so you pretty much need to pull the engine to do that job so kind of works out anyways.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
it is the best route go. what is few extra $$ on a complete engine gasket set and cleaning the engine out. that way you will know the engine should last. plus you got to replace the input shaft seal on the transmission so you pretty much need to pull the engine to do that job so kind of works out anyways.
Yeah I was just thinking about that. Really wanted my truck for the winter. Plus I'm going to have add up the cost and hope I can get what I need.

Could the crank and pistons stay in?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
could always buy a used 318 to drop in it. i was pretty much thinking tear it completely down. i don't know if there is a good way to really clean things out without tearing it apart. you can always toss a new cam in lifters in it and take a gamble that things are good but if not your are pretty much out $4-500 which is pretty much the same cost as a used engine or a pretty big dent in the cost of a rebuilt. could almost end up rebuilding the engine to really make sure it is right and will last

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
could always buy a used 318 to drop in it. i was pretty much thinking tear it completely down. i don't know if there is a good way to really clean things out without tearing it apart. you can always toss a new cam in lifters in it and take a gamble that things are good but if not your are pretty much out $4-500 which is pretty much the same cost as a used engine or a pretty big dent in the cost of a rebuilt. could almost end up rebuilding the engine to really make sure it is right and will last
Yeah, was just reading a few threads that said to tear it down because there will be metal shavings every where in the engine.

Thought about getting a used one too.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
unfortunately that is the way it is. you almost want to get it completely cleaned if you want to re use the block. it really doesn't take much metal debis in the wrong place to do some damage and the engine has a lot of moving parts that could be damaged by the small debris. i know i recently replaced the spider gears in my dads truck after 1 grenaded. considering how small of a part it was it broke into quite a few pieces and did quite a bit of damage. took quite a bit of time to clean up even tho a differential is pretty small. i was even tempted to leave one of my heavy duty magnets in the differential to collect anything i might have missed.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
unfortunately that is the way it is. you almost want to get it completely cleaned if you want to re use the block. it really doesn't take much metal debis in the wrong place to do some damage and the engine has a lot of moving parts that could be damaged by the small debris. i know i recently replaced the spider gears in my dads truck after 1 grenaded. considering how small of a part it was it broke into quite a few pieces and did quite a bit of damage. took quite a bit of time to clean up even tho a differential is pretty small. i was even tempted to leave one of my heavy duty magnets in the differential to collect anything i might have missed.
I was looking up magnets to place in different areas. It was one of the suggestions in a thread I was reading.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it might work but still a gamble. as far as the magnets go i don't know much about them or buying them but i usually get mine fore free out of old computers. the magnet in the hard drives are very strong. can stick to metal through 1/2" drywall

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I had some cylinder damage in my engine. This is what the metal in the oil did to my oil pump. That’s a brand new pump, only about 5000 miles on it. It doesn’t take long for little metal shavings to do some real damage
d1243bd012e278d407de9b24b6a7b4a6.jpg
fd80800ada032256d2009d7f749ee575.jpg

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah, was just reading a few threads that said to tear it down because there will be metal shavings every where in the engine.

Thought about getting a used one too.

The oil will have carried tiny metal shaving throughout the entire engine while the lifter was doing its' damage. All the bearings have been turning on those same metal shavings all along til the lifter broke.
A used engine is also a gamble because you don't know how well it was maintained.
Unfortunately there is no easy fix.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
The oil will have carried tiny metal shaving throughout the entire engine while the lifter was doing its' damage. All the bearings have been turning on those same metal shavings all along til the lifter broke.
A used engine is also a gamble because you don't know how well it was maintained.
Unfortunately there is no easy fix.
Yeah, I'm just bummed. Wanted to have the truck for the winter and now I have to pull the motor and rebuild it.