Frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Finished hooking up everything in the engine bay, bled to brakes, checked fluid levels and installed a new battery since the old one was 8 years old.
Fired it up and let it run for a little bit. Still have some stuff in the cab to do but it runs!32ca9197c7d27272adb2dfa81ccc27d8.jpg587b99def17f6eed8e846dd733921c68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Nice I bet your pleased all that hard work finally going to be able to call it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Nice I bet your pleased all that hard work finally going to be able to call it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's almost done just wish I didn't have to work so I could finish it sooner.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Spent the last couple of days checking all the fluids, tightening a few things that were leaking, putting my doors back together, and trying to figure out an electrical problem. Thankfully I didn't spend too much time on the electrical issue before I figured out that one of the plugs for the junction box didn't lock in.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Got the hood on today and beat some dents out of the bed. Was going to turn the truck around so I could put the bed on but the truck refuses to start, just clicks. Going to pull the starter off and check it out but, probably going to have to replace it...wonderful8247e0af7d44fda57d1032041a8458d0.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hope it’s an easy fix. Has the truck actually turned on recently?

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hope it’s an easy fix. Has the truck actually turned on recently?
Yeah, it was running earlier. Heated up to operating temp, fans cycled a few times. Sat for maybe an hour? Now it just clicks. Jumper pack needs chargered and I can't find the cord to charger it. Battery voltage is 12.3, maybe not enough juice to crank?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hmm. It sure exactly what voltage it needs, but that sounds like enough. If not the starter, how about the fuel pump?

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hmm. It sure exactly what voltage it needs, but that sounds like enough. If not the starter, how about the fuel pump?
Truck won't crank, only get clicking when I turn the key

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
And now I have nothing. I'm thinking the ignition switch is bad. Dash won't light up now.

Dropped the starter and hooked it up to a jumper pack. Seemed to work fine. Hooked it back up and tried to crank it and now the nothing has power.

Will check more in the morning.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
are you sure you got a good connection at the battery? the clicking you are hearing is likely the solenoid engaging but if you don't have enough power getting to the starter it could cause it to not want to start. i would possibly even check the ground wire or maybe break out some jumper cables and run them straight from the battery to the starter. should make a difference to it.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
are you sure you got a good connection at the battery? the clicking you are hearing is likely the solenoid engaging but if you don't have enough power getting to the starter it could cause it to not want to start. i would possibly even check the ground wire or maybe break out some jumper cables and run them straight from the battery to the starter. should make a difference to it.
I cleaned the connections at the starter and battery. But now I have nothing, going to check fuses in the morning

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would still try running a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. i actually just noticed you have aftermarket battery clamps. i don't know how long you have had them but to me i hate the ones like you have and have had bad luck with them in the past.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
i would still try running a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. i actually just noticed you have aftermarket battery clamps. i don't know how long you have had them but to me i hate the ones like you have and have had bad luck with them in the past.
The clamps have been on for a few years. Hooked it up on the bench using the positive wire from the starter to the jumper pack and clamped onto the housing. Used the key to crank it and it engaged like it should.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Had Autozone test it while it was out, everything passed. Already swapped relays around with no change. Going to clean up the mounting areas before putting it back in.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Still the same issue. I tried it once and now the dash won't light up again. The parking brake light is the only thing that comes on and it's dim.

When I reconnect the battery I can hear something engage up by the firewall or cowl. Can't really pinpoint it. I'm wondering if something else is drawing power.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you don't necessarily need clean things up. just hook up some jumper cables from the battery to the starter. it will tell you whether you got a bad connection there or not. if that doesn't solve the issue you could also try hooking your jumper pack to the power distribution center and see if it makes a difference to what gets power when you turn the key on. i am still thinking the connector at the battery might be the issue. it sounds like a limited amount power is making it into the cab or to everything.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
you don't necessarily need clean things up. just hook up some jumper cables from the battery to the starter. it will tell you whether you got a bad connection there or not. if that doesn't solve the issue you could also try hooking your jumper pack to the power distribution center and see if it makes a difference to what gets power when you turn the key on. i am still thinking the connector at the battery might be the issue. it sounds like a limited amount power is making it into the cab or to everything.
Thanks for your assistance. I'm not sure why it was acting up but I got it to start.

Pulled the fuse for the ignition wire for the fans, I have it hooked into the cigar lighter since I don't use it and it is only hot when the key is in run.

Started it up then put the fuse back in. Started it once after that with no issue, I will see how it acts in the morning.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well after spending a lot more time than I wanted chasing that no start issue I finally got the bed and bumpers on.

Going to try and get the tires put on and the inspection done in the morning.