From 2015 Sierra to 2016 Ram Rebel. My thoughts so far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only had the Ram for a few days, but here's what I've noticed, etc.:

The drivetrain on this truck is amazing. My Sierra had a 5.3 with 6 speed automatic. It was an SLE middle of the road model. It shifted terrible, and I thought something was wrong with it. Nope, apparently it's pretty common for rough shifts. I put a CAI, Cat back Exhaust, and a tuner on the Sierra to try and get better performance which did help a lot. The Ram feels very powerful and smooth with the stock drivetrain. Winner: Ram. Big time.

The seats in the Ram are much more comfortable. The heated seat is awesome, and heats up very quickly. I didn't realize how hard my Sierra seats were until I went from the Ram back into the Sierra. Winner: Ram

The Sierra had a very nice compliant ride. However, the Ram is even better. I'm digging this air ride suspension. Winner: Ram.

The Sierra had a very good sound system. The Alpine system in this Ram is bad ass. Winner: Ram.

The Sierra's cruise control stays "on" until you turn it off, requiring one press of the set button to cruise. The Ram makes you turn it back on everytime you start it up. Minor gripe, but winner: Sierra.

The Sierra's remote start had decent (not great) range with the key fob, and an app to start it from anywhere. This service is included for 5 years from purchase. The Ram basically wants you to be withing contact range to work. The Uconnect remote didn't work the only time I've tried it so far. Plus, after my 3 month trial period, I"ll have to pay a monthly fee to keep it. Winner: Sierra.

The Ram didn't automatically come with a LSD in 2016 despite being an off-road package. Huge let down, and almost made me back out of the deal. The Z71 package in my Sierra included a locking differential. Winner: Sierra.

The headlights in my Sierra were the worst headlights I've ever had in any vehicle! It is downright criminal that they produced a truck with such horrible lighting. I fought with them over and over on this, but to no avail. Finally put an HID conversion in it on MY dime, which worked fantastic. As for the Ram, the headlights are good. But why have the ugly yellowish halogen's and then have bright white LED fogs? Anyhow, winner by a long shot: Ram.

The dashboard/gauges on the Sierra were very nice. The Ram is even better. I really like the way you can customize it. Very cool. Winner: Ram.

The Sierra and the Ram both have the cylinder deactivation systems. The Sierra's have had some issues with collapsing lifters associated with this. You can also notice/feel when it activates. Had to use the tuner to turn this off. The Ram is seamless, and if the ECO light didn't pop on, I wouldn't even know if happened. I don't know at this point if there are issues with these engines because of it. Hopefully, someone can enlighten me. Anyhow, winner: Ram

The 4X4 switch in the Sierra was right above the light switch, and was the same size/shape. Confusing. Also, there was no indicator light on the dash to tell you that you were in four wheel drive. Weird. Winner: Ram

I put 62,000 miles on the Sierra with no issues other than the absolute CRAP headlights. We'll see how the Ram holds up. I added a 5 year bumper to bumper no deductible warranty for peace of mind.

Well, that sums it up at the moment. I'll be perusing the forum to learn as much as I can about my truck, and appreciate the hospitality.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice review
Enjoy your new ram. Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Also, forgot one more: The Sierra's automatic climate control allowed the A/C to be on all the time if you want it. The Ram will not. Winner: Sierra.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. Also, forgot one more: The Sierra's automatic climate control allowed the A/C to be on all the time if you want it. The Ram will not. Winner: Sierra.

My 2015's auto climate stays on all the time. They changed this?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2016 has AC button on the dash that turns the AC on all the time. The auto mode should have AC running all of the time, but that may depend on outside temperature.

The 1500 off road package is mild but can handle quite a bit of adversity. If you want off road goodies in a RAM, however, the Power Wagon comes standard with lockers in both ends. Its a 2500 with softer springs for better articulation... but does ride smoother.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like the net winner is the Ram but the Sierra has a few nice features. Years ago I was looking at a Z71 but I am pretty happy with my 15 Express v6.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Nice review. So for it sounds like you are happy on your purchase.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion.

The 5.7/8 speed is a great combination. Ram gets bashed for not increasing the 5.7’s power with the 5th gen. We all want to see more power but being realistic, the truck does not need it. The drive train is amazing and effortless. I know people who are shocked at how smooth those trucks are when they drive them. The 5.7 is old Hemi tech, but proving how great it still can be. Most people who bash it have never driven one.

I think the Rebel should come with LSD standard, kind of a fail there. Dealer should have optioned it, but most of them are bad at specing out orders.

Coming from a 5.3 GM myself I can agree with everything you said. 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed was night and day difference. The cyl deactivation in the GM's always had a bad rep. People had engine failure because of it and they weren't even being taken care of by GM from what I remember. I personally haven't seen or heard anything like this on the Hemi's. SRT or truck/car versions.

Only thing I would say is, if you are planning on doing a cat back or muffler on the truck, the MDS makes it sound like **** when it activates. But that is true on all trucks. Most people, myself included, will disable MDS in the city and then leave it on for highway or longer back road trips.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion.

The 5.7/8 speed is a great combination. Ram gets bashed for not increasing the 5.7’s power with the 5th gen. We all want to see more power but being realistic, the truck does not need it. The drive train is amazing and effortless. I know people who are shocked at how smooth those trucks are when they drive them. The 5.7 is old Hemi tech, but proving how great it still can be. Most people who bash it have never driven one.

I think the Rebel should come with LSD standard, kind of a fail there. Dealer should have optioned it, but most of them are bad at specing out orders.

Coming from a 5.3 GM myself I can agree with everything you said. 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed was night and day difference. The cyl deactivation in the GM's always had a bad rep. People had engine failure because of it and they weren't even being taken care of by GM from what I remember. I personally haven't seen or heard anything like this on the Hemi's. SRT or truck/car versions.

Only thing I would say is, if you are planning on doing a cat back or muffler on the truck, the MDS makes it sound like **** when it activates. But that is true on all trucks. Most people, myself included, will disable MDS in the city and then leave it on for highway or longer back road trips.

I "probably" won't mess with the exhaust, but you never know! Is there a way to disable the MDS without a tuner?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I "probably" won't mess with the exhaust, but you never know! Is there a way to disable the MDS without a tuner?

Yep, on 1500, while in Drive (I do it when I'm stopped), push the minus (-) button on the wheel to enter manual mode, then push the plus button next to it and you will see on your dash with each push you increase a gear. Whatever gear you increase to, the truck will limit it's operation to the set gear as maximum. Set it to 8 and the truck will run exactly as normal up to 8th gear with NO MDS.

Any time you set a manual selection, MDS is turned off.

Running in Tow Haul mode also disables MDS.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, on 1500, while in Drive (I do it when I'm stopped), push the minus (-) button on the wheel to enter manual mode, then push the plus button next to it and you will see on your dash with each push you increase a gear. Whatever gear you increase to, the truck will limit it's operation to the set gear as maximum. Set it to 8 and the truck will run exactly as normal up to 8th gear with NO MDS.

This is the kind of cool tricks I need to learn about this truck. Thanks!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice...double Rebel family! I turn off my MDS for in town driving. I can hear it as I have a Carven muffler and 5" tips...so there is a small bit of drone with the MDS on in town. On the highway I don't notice it.

As was stated...just hit the - button once..then + up to 8 and MDS will stay off...UNTIL you put it in park. Once you go back to Drive you have to do it again..bit of a pain but not too bad.

Enjoy the Rebel...love mine!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Yes there is. Push the plus button till the 8 shows up on the gear selector, won't effect how trannie shifts but does disable MDS. You have to do this Everytime you you restart the truck.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Mine still kicks into MDS when in tow haul mode. You can hear it in the exhaust.