From 2015 Sierra to 2016 Ram Rebel. My thoughts so far...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
The a/c needs to be run periodically during the off season to keep the seals from becoming brittle, but that is generally accomplished by running the HVAC system in the defrost mode in the winter time as needed for normal winter driving.
Running the a/c all the time is just stupid.

I suppose you don't avoid potholes or you don't let your truck warm up for at least 30 seconds before driving huh? Cause those are all preventive maintenance actions just like running the AC in winter. Just miniscule things you do to keep yourself out of the repair shop. Pretty stupid thing to insult and mock.

I recommend you keep opinions without evidence of facts to yourself before your IQ starts to show.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I suppose you don't avoid potholes or you don't let your truck warm up for at least 30 seconds before driving huh? Cause those are all preventive maintenance actions just like running the AC in winter. Just miniscule things you do to keep yourself out of the repair shop. Pretty stupid thing to insult and mock.

I recommend you keep opinions without evidence of facts to yourself before your IQ starts to show.

Point out rhe erronious information in my post please.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
While I won't call it the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard or criticize someone's opinion, I see no reason to keep the ac on all the time year round. Agree with black w900, only need to run it occasionally to circulate compressor oil around the system.

Running it all the time, in my opinion will do more harm than good. Look at all the extra wear and tear on the compressor and clutch for starters. Let alone the extra drag on the engine during start up if you never turn it off (unless these newer vehicles don't engage the clutch until the engine is running, not sure about that). Just my .02 of course.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lots of older cars in Florida run the ac year round and are still running original ac system 10 or more years later. No idea if the continued use promotes longevity.

Last edited:

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I won't call it the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard or criticize someone's opinion, I see no reason to keep the ac on all the time year round. Agree with black w900, only need to run it occasionally to circulate compressor oil around the system.

Running it all the time, in my opinion will do more harm than good. Look at all the extra wear and tear on the compressor and clutch for starters. Let alone the extra drag on the engine during start up if you never turn it off (unless these newer vehicles don't engage the clutch until the engine is running, not sure about that). Just my .02 of course.

At least you offer some kind of information as to why you think it's unnecessary and not empty insults. That stuff irks me.

And most newer vehicles don't engage the clutch like you said during start up and also during WOT. Can't say for the Ram but there's a good chance. So the loss of power is irrelevant and also mpg's are minimal. If there was that much to be gained from AC parasitic power, engineers would have already utilized that cause of EPA always on their back.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lots of older cars in Florida run the ac year round and are still running original account system 10 or more years later. No idea if the continued use promotes longevity.
good point! thanks. that's true

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Modern system are "smart". They only engage the compressor when needed and not during start cycles. They often wait till the engine warms up a bit. They will cycle the compressor on and off smoothly and the additional wear is minimal. Compressors don't run 100% except for perhaps the hottest days. There are tons of vehicles out there with tons of miles where you can't turn the AC compressor off, short of pulling a fuse, and it doesn't seem to affect longevity. You think they are off, but not really.

Now AC does rob some power and perhaps mpg, and the cycling can be annoying. Some manufactures give you an option to turn AC off. (a manual mode in those that have automatic temperature control). I wouldn't worry about wear and tear, however. But then I usually trade every 200,000 miles or so. :)

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I "probably" won't mess with the exhaust, but you never know! Is there a way to disable the MDS without a tuner?
Yes, shift + or - on steering wheel. Minus will drop to 7th, + will put back to 8th and will stay off until you start your truck again. If you press + again it will turn ECO back on. If you shut it off you'll have to do the + - again. At least this is what my '17 Big Horn will do.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's an update on my air suspension compressor issue:

Update: I called the corporate phone today, and surprisingly got someone of the phone. He was very polite, and seemed to understand my frustration. Aside from not having my truck to use, the lack of communication between the dealership and me is appalling... Anyhow, he asked to put me on hold. About 10 minutes or so later, he came back on. He advised that the new compressor would be there Monday, or sooner. (Not sure how that is possible on Friday afternoon) Anyhow, I have my fingers crossed that I get my truck back by Tuesday. It's been in the shop longer than I've been able to drive it. My fingers are crossed that the compressor has been properly engineered, and this will be a long term fix. Thanks for letting me vent here....

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next update: Dealership now advises that the parts that were supposed to arrive on the 23rd didn't. Go figure. No ETA at this time. I now have to borrow a truck to get some things done that I need to do. How embarrassing it is to explain that my truck is sitting in the shop for weeks with no eta on parts for an air suspension system that doesn't like cold weather. Never been so frustrated!! Not a great way to install confidence in the quality of your products, Ram!!

DallasCJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995, 2014
Engine
5.9L, 5.7L Hemi
Next update: Dealership now advises that the parts that were supposed to arrive on the 23rd didn't. Go figure. No ETA at this time. I now have to borrow a truck to get some things done that I need to do. How embarrassing it is to explain that my truck is sitting in the shop for weeks with no eta on parts for an air suspension system that doesn't like cold weather. Never been so frustrated!! Not a great way to install confidence in the quality of your products, Ram!!
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was concerned about longevity when I bought my 14, and that's been one of the things that kept me away from the air-ride suspension.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, an update here. My truck has now sat on the dealers lot for 6 weeks. Last Friday, I was told that the compressor had arrived! Yea!!! They also confirmed that this was indeed the part for my truck. The following Wednesday, I of course heard nothing from the dealership, so I emailed FCA to get a status update. Here was her response:

Vehicle Description: RAM 1500 REBEL 4X4

Donnie, I apologize for the delay. I was out of office due to a family emergency. I spoke to with the dealership today. I am sorry to say the vehicle is not complete. There has been a mix up with the part. The dealerships parts system glitched on Friday. The part is not in just yet. Donnie I will continue to work on this for you. Thank you so very much for your patience. Again I am very sorry.

So I responded that I have had enough of this runaround, and that I would be sending a required certified letter to FCA with my 10 day demand to resolve prior to filing a Lemon Law suite. She then called me today. I asked her what exactly the "glitch" was at the dealership. Her response to that was "Well, there is a new employee in the service department. That employee didn't know that it was for your truck, and it was installed on someone else's."

Obviously, this didn't sit well with me . I then asked why no one can tell me where the part for my truck is, and when to expect it. She then said "Well, it could be like if it was on a ship and the ship sank". I'm not kidding. I burst into laughter at the absurdity of this explanation. She was silent as I tried to gather myself back up. I said "Are you kidding me?? That's the example you're going to use??" She said "Well, I did say that is what happened, just that something like this may have happened. Maybe it was on a truck that crashed or something." Yeah, or maybe my part was abducted by aliens... (I didn't say that to her, just sayin'...)

I then advised that I was sending off the certified letter, and that they have 10 days to either replace my truck, or refund my money paid for it. (Which I did)

The saga continues.....

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why? In this day an age where everything can be tracked by computer and deliveries can take place literally overnight would they have to keep your truck 6 weeks. There is zero excuse for this.

OP
OP
fpdsniper

fpdsniper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why? In this day an age where everything can be tracked by computer and deliveries can take place literally overnight would they have to keep your truck 6 weeks. There is zero excuse for this.

Probably afraid I'd track it to the bottom of the ocean.....