Front axle on 2000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullseye338

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My boy recently found a 150 rock in the middle of the road in a snowstorm with his pride and joy dodge pickup. He is fine but his front axle is broke. It is a 2000 ram 1500 4×4 with 3.54 ratio. I cannot find a 2000 axle but did find a 1998 ram 1500 with the same ratio for $300. So my question is can I make the 98 axle work or is there too much of a difference in them.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You might run into an issue on the pinion yoke. There are a couple different designs for the pinion yoke for slightly different Ujoint sizes. There are 3 different ujoint sizes for the 00-01 rams, and the same 3 sizes for the 98-99 Rams but also an addition variant of one of the sizes that uses a strap style instead of the traditional ubolt style.

You should be able to just swap the yoke from your differential over to the replacement axle if they aren't the same to begin with. While you're at it, might as well open up that new diff and give it a good look over and fresh oil. Hell, if you have the money, you might even consider putting a locker in it if you plan to do any semi-serious off roading or mudding.