Front drive shaft bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Does anyone know what tool to use on the front drive shaft bolts of a 2012 Ram 2500 diesel? They look like a Torx but all of the Torx bits that I have are either too small or too large. Did Dodge pull a fast one and use some propriatory tool?

Thanks!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Does anyone know what tool to use on the front drive shaft bolts of a 2012 Ram 2500 diesel? They look like a Torx but all of the Torx bits that I have are either too small or too large. Did Dodge pull a fast one and use some propriatory tool?

Thanks!

Bet it’s an Allan.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine on my 2011 were a t40. I doubt they would have changed them the following year, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks Havoc!

I was beginning to think they were a Bristol Spline or such but I've never seen a Spline that large. I'll give the Torx set a try again. Maybe there was just too much rust scale in the bolt caps for my T40 to fit. I used half a can of Blaster on all 8 bolts over two days. They should be unstuck at least!

One thing for sure, those Torx round head bolts are going to be replaced with regular hex bolts whenever I get them out!

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Havoc!

I was beginning to think they were a Bristol Spline or such but I've never seen a Spline that large. I'll give the Torx set a try again. Maybe there was just too much rust scale in the bolt caps for my T40 to fit. I used half a can of Blaster on all 8 bolts over two days. They should be unstuck at least!

One thing for sure, those Torx round head bolts are going to be replaced with regular hex bolts whenever I get them out!

Yeah they definitely are a poor design in my opinion. I had to let them sit in pb blaster over night and heat them to get them loose. I was really nervous that they were going to strip out. A hex head with a wrench would have been so much easier.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks Havoc!

They should have come that way from the factory. Car manufacturers keep doing as much as they can to keep us week-end wrench turners from being able to work on our own vehicles.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I needed one with a longer bit so it wasn`t at too much of a angle. If it isn`t seated right it will strip.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I needed one with a longer bit so it wasn`t at too much of a angle. If it isn`t seated right it will strip.

Harbor Freight Tools has a long stem set that will do the job nicely and they have a no Q asked forever warranty. The set is like $12-16.
I use a lot of HFT stuff because I like the warranty.
I get huge discounts also.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I bought the Harbor Freight set but had to go back and buy the 1/4" drive set, the 1/2" impact set was just too fat to thread in between the u-joint caps. Maybe with some more axle droop I could get them in but this was in my driveway with a Hi-Lift jack and jack stands...

I did have to gently tap the bits into the bolt head to get enough bite but once I did I was able to put a breaker bar on the extension and pop them loose. I was afraid I was going to bust the 1/4" drive bit or extension from torquing it enough to break the bolts free but they popped loose and out they came. I tried to take the transfer case end out first so I could droop the driveshaft but found out that I actually had to take the axle end out first so I could drop it low enough to get a socket threaded between the end caps on the transfer case end.

I took the bolts from both ends to a local bolt and screw shop and they were able to match them with new grade-8 bolts. I bought the correct taps to go with the bolts. I ran the appropriate tap through the flanges with lots of Blaster to chase and clean the threads. A couple of drops of blue threadlocker and the torx bolts are in the metal recycling bin and hex heads are in their place.

Oh, and to add final insult to us shade tree mechanics... The bolts on the axle end are metric (13mm as I recall) and the transfer case end are SAE (5/8 I think)... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Foxtrot!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334