Front end issues after leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08BlackMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so this is going to be a pretty long post so bear with me please;

A while back I had a ProComp 2" leveling kit (coil spacers) installed by a "friend" who turned out to be a very shadetree type guy. Well he told me he had a lot of issues getting the camber bolts out as well as the lower strut mount bolts. Anyways, he got the job done and afterwards I had to replace the struts bc of the bent forks he damaged. Then I had a popping noise that happened primarily on braking but at slow speed turns as well. Below is a list of things I had done or inspected by myself and 3 different shops.

REMOVED LEVELING SPACERS!
Replace left outer tie rod
Replace both upper ball joints
Replace sway bar bushings

After all this I am still getting the same popping noise. I am thinking it sounds as if the camber bolt bushings or bolts themselves is allowing the control arms time move around a little bit but the latest front end specialty shop said that wasn't it when they removed the spacers. Which they also said the front was good to go and as soon as I pulled away I heard the same familiar pop. And on top of that they somehow split the left axle boot open throwing grease everywhere. I am completely fed up with this truck and I'm out of ideas on what to do now. Its already cost me about 2 grand. HELP!!!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you should be fed up with your mechanics, not the truck. Take it somewhere reputable and get it fixed right. I'd think it'd be a good truck after that. Buy cheap, buy twice.

OP
OP

08BlackMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I went to 2 different "reputable" repair shops. All the ball joints seem to be ok. I jacked the front end up and the tires have no give to them up/down or side/side.

OP
OP

08BlackMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I definitely didnt buy cheap, its costed me a crap ton lol

OP
OP

08BlackMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So an update; just got off the phone with the shop that removed the leveling kit and after some back and forth they agreed to replace the axle boot that has torn and thrown grease everywhere. They also said they would dig in to the popping noise further. WIll let you know what they find!

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My rack and pinion pops all the time because the bushings broke that hold it to the frame..

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yours may be worse than mine, i could see light braking as one side might pull the wheel to a different direction, thus pulling the rack to a different side. But yes, turning, light and hard, i hear a noise. It isnt hard to check, its the two big bolts on the back of the large apparatus that the control arms are bolted to. You'll be able to tell if its bad or not, take a pic and post here if you dont mind!!

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No offense to the OP, but you might get more help over in the 3rd Gen area

OP
OP

08BlackMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the truck goes back in the shop today to (hopefully) get this mess figured out. Think Ill check in with the local dealership to see what kind of trade numbers I can get as well. Will let yall know!