Front End Woes

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by 2003MOPAR, Dec 5, 2016.

1. 2003MOPAR

2003MOPAR Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hi everyone. I would like some suggestions on a DIY project I have in mind. I have a 2003 with 75K miles on it and the usual things are starting to wear out. Top of my list is the rack & pinion. I think I can do this repair in my driveway with limited need for specialized tools. I think.

What I would like to know is are there any "special" tools required? I have yet to look at a repair manual so I know that would answer my question. But what fun would that be? I'd like to give you guys the opportunity to weigh-in and offer suggestions before I start banging my knuckles on the undercarriage.

2003, 4.7L, Standard Cab, Short bed.

2. SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Eco Gasser
    Just need a good socket set, a ball joint separator for the outer tie rods and some patients. Probably Allen Keys as well for the steering shaft at the gear box.

3. HemiLonestar

HemiLonestar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    At 75k you're needing to do this? I just now did my front end and my R&P is still good at over 160,000.

4. pajeepman

pajeepman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Bought my '03 in December 2015 with 85k on it. It needed a rack then, still needs it. Leaks and has hardly any steering when very cold until I cycle the steering wheel back and forth a little bit a few times. Looks easy to do.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

5. axshon

axshon Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Getting ready to do my 03 1500 QC. I'll be replacing the PS pump, high pressure line and adding a filter to the return line first. If the leak and noise clears up (I don't think it will) I'll install the R&P from a donor truck and moog tie rod ends which I already have. The only thing that concerns me is the torque on the mounting bolts. Looks to be either 235 ft/lb which will be harder on my shoulder than I'd like to think about. I had to use a 30" crescent wrench on the back nut to get it off the donor...