Front End Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. I would like some suggestions on a DIY project I have in mind. I have a 2003 with 75K miles on it and the usual things are starting to wear out. Top of my list is the rack & pinion. I think I can do this repair in my driveway with limited need for specialized tools. I think.

What I would like to know is are there any "special" tools required? I have yet to look at a repair manual so I know that would answer my question. But what fun would that be? I'd like to give you guys the opportunity to weigh-in and offer suggestions before I start banging my knuckles on the undercarriage.

2003, 4.7L, Standard Cab, Short bed.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Just need a good socket set, a ball joint separator for the outer tie rods and some patients. Probably Allen Keys as well for the steering shaft at the gear box.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
At 75k you're needing to do this? I just now did my front end and my R&P is still good at over 160,000.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Bought my '03 in December 2015 with 85k on it. It needed a rack then, still needs it. Leaks and has hardly any steering when very cold until I cycle the steering wheel back and forth a little bit a few times. Looks easy to do.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

axshon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting ready to do my 03 1500 QC. I'll be replacing the PS pump, high pressure line and adding a filter to the return line first. If the leak and noise clears up (I don't think it will) I'll install the R&P from a donor truck and moog tie rod ends which I already have. The only thing that concerns me is the torque on the mounting bolts. Looks to be either 235 ft/lb which will be harder on my shoulder than I'd like to think about. I had to use a 30" crescent wrench on the back nut to get it off the donor...