Fuel Mileage Honesty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
To me, you can still have a Ram and good fuel economy. I average 23mpg tank to tank with my 2017 Ram QC 4x4 3.6L/ZF8 and that's calculating it by hand with mixed driving without babying it. The dash computer levels out a bit higher around 24mpg.

Of course we're talking a complete stock truck here, still with the OEM street tires aired up to ~41psig and warm ambient temps.

Modded , hauling or the dead of winter, I would expect it to get much less.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Don't forget about the critters too! I drive a lot of back roads through the woods to work and I've had many deer and quite a few hogs and even a couple three gators step out in front of me over the 27 years I've been traveling this route and trust me your chances of survival are much better in a truck vs. some ******* car.
Lucky that we only have the littlest of critters to worry about while driving our gas guzzling Power Wagon in Colorado and Wyoming. Best to drive a small car and save a little bit of gas while sharing the road with elk, moose, cougar (mountain lion), bear, and enough mule deer every mile to cure world hunger. If a little car manages to make it through their gauntlet, then it's because of those posted "Deer Crossing" signs of which all deer obey. Good thing about mule deer is that they do change their entire direction in a single 45 mph step. At that speed they are able to run directly into the rear bumper of a moving truck. I had it happen.

The zillions of Pronghorn/antelope either are standing still or they are shot out from cannons across the highway at 55 mph. No in between. There's no chance to avoid hitting one since they are always on a suicide mission to hit your vehicle. Fortunately for them we drive a Power Wagon due to a little car wouldn't survive the impact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Campbellsoutlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My point is that a vehicle designed for off roading did not have the engineers considering MPG when they built it...and that’s okay.

It just irritates me when every single review on the PW hammers it for bad fuel mileage. People who have purchased a PW or are considering it most likely have off roaded once or twice, and understand giant, beastly, bad ass trucks with knobby tires and a lift or level will not get good mileage.

CBTBOB

U.S. Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 18 CC 4x4 5.7 with 3.92's and I'm happy as hell with 16-17 mpg.

20180213_095609.jpg

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The mileage doesn’t bother me as much as the 31 gal tank. I wish they could/would put a bigger one under the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know how you guys drive but I'm light on the pedal and my power wagon has never seen better than 12.4mpg.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The mileage doesn’t bother me as much as the 31 gal tank. I wish they could/would put a bigger one under the truck.

I have a Mega cab. I was under the truck replacing shocks last week and noticed something. In front of the existing fuel cell, there is so much empty space (at least 15 inches x 15 inches. Designers could have engineered a larger capacity tank for the long bed/Mega cab chassis. Then FCA could have /should have made it a paid option on these HD trucks. I mean they're built to tow...and they tow well. Long distance trips are just inconvenienced by the frequency of fillups. Why limit to 31 gallons? High 30's is acheivable. GM and Ford are running 36 and 34 gallons respectively.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine

What about the DTE gauge lie? I have run the level gauge to resting and DTE to 0 and have never got more than 26 gallons in the tank. I understand maintaining a level for the fuel pump health but 5 gallons? I have done this twice now to try and get a feel for how far I can really go and am a firm believer of filling up at around the 1/4 level, so am somewhat disappointed that it's extremely hard to even utilize the 31 gallon capacity.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've got 28 into it at the pump a few times, but that was done knowing that "0" on the DTE is a 26 gallon fill up, and calculating fuel burn to get to the nearest pump. I always have extra gas in the truck, so I don't sweat pushing the miles past when the truck tells me it needs gas.

turnerje

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't yet had a head-on collision on a remote highway, but if the day comes I would rather be driving my Power Wagon vs saving a bit of gas in a small vehicle. Seen a lot of stupidity in people passing, including today near Muddy Gap, Wyoming where some small car that I was following stupidly passed a truck directly into the on coming traffic on a 2 lane 70 mph highway. Cars and trucks braked and scattered to avoid a collision and so did I while towing a full loaded utility trailer. What I might save on the cost of fuel with a little car, is never worth the value of my life.

That is exactly my reasoning. My wife has a Nissan Cube, which we’ll drive in town. We take my power wagon on road trips. I feel safer with my family in there instead of her car. I didn’t buy wagon for MPG.

rickkimbrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram Megacab Diesel
Engine
about the same as somebody buying a 2500 and complain about the ride, it's a truck, it's made to tow/haul/work

Man, I love my 2500 Megacab diesel 4x4. I had my in-laws all week staying with us and both Mom and Dad commented on how good the ride was in my truck. And, as far as fuel economy is concerned...I get between 16 and 18 pretty much all the time with it leveled and bigger tires. It tows great, hauls great, and gets my butt back and forth to my office 30 miles away every day.

NEMOPa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '11 Big Horn gets 17+ mpg (city / hwy), my '07 Dakota was under 15 mpg ( as is the Wife's Jeep) no mods on either, except for new dirt once in a while. I'm happy!! I didn't buy the Ram to save $$ on gas. All of our rides are daily drivers...

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
PW is a totally different animal with the lower gear ratio axles. So any comparisons really aren't apple to apple.
My 16 PW gets 13.5-14 consistently on regular pump gas kicking around locally. Highway driving under 69 mph I have gotten as high as 18.4. Break 70 mph and it drops to 17.2-17.5.
Truck has 39K on it and no add ons. Doesn't need em, they got it right from the factory for what I do with it.
I love my truck!

pat leary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pennstar 3.6
If you want gas mileage with a ram truck you can get gas mileage.But sorry you you cannot have both.Get a ram with either the Fiat diesel or the 3.6 gas ,I feel ypu will be happy.If not you can put the big engine in it,jack it up,put a set of 35's on and then complain about your mileage.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
PW is a totally different animal with the lower gear ratio axles. So any comparisons really aren't apple to apple.
My 16 PW gets 13.5-14 consistently on regular pump gas kicking around locally. Highway driving under 69 mph I have gotten as high as 18.4. Break 70 mph and it drops to 17.2-17.5.
Truck has 39K on it and no add ons. Doesn't need em, they got it right from the factory for what I do with it.
I love my truck!

What tires are you running? Are these number hand calculated?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Also, my stock 2016 Power Wagon has a similar 17 mpg as Vicman does in the 75 mph speed zones of which I always stay no more than around 2 to 3 mph over to go with the flow. In the 80 mph speed zones of Utah and Wyoming my mpg drops significantly.

One safety feature I like is that there is no speed governor at passing speeds as with my 1998 Chevrolet pickup. Nothing worse than passing within a 75 mph speed limit zone 2 lane Texas highway and having the fuel pump shut off. Scared me good due to I couldn't complete the pass and it was very dangerous to get back in. I hit the same higher speed in passing two very long road train gravel trucks with my Power Wagon on a grade in Wyoming last week and am sure glad that the engine didn't shut off like my Chevrolet would. Went back to the speed limit soon after passing.

Last edited:

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess I am really out in left field and apologize in advance for anyone that I offend. I spent $74,000.00 on a power wagon then added $28,000.00 in modifications just to have the baddest beast around. I could care less how much I get in fuel mileage and don't comprehend why anyone with this truck would. I don't even believe their should be a thread on it much less people posting to it. I got a truck that shakes the ground, crawls over small buildings, can be heard over four blocks away, and looks badass doing it, I'll be f***ed if I care how much pocket change it takes to run my beast.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just dropping some info here.

For me mpg was one of the selling points when looking at trucks. Thats why i got the ecodiesel, i am averaging combine 25.5 now. Includes about 70 % highway and the rest city (DC). Max speed i do is 65 and i set the cruise.

Very happy with my purchase. Always nice to see i can go over 650 miles per fuel up. Straight highway is close to 30 mpg.

Laramie crew cab 4wd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01