Fuel pump and rear running lights stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mandigo83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum v8
First post for me, wish me luck. So my brother and I got a dodge for basically free because it had some rot but it ran good and was a 4x4 so we decided to fix her. We pulled the box, the fuel tank and rear lights to remove rust and strip and coat everything in rust paint. Took the front clip off to strip and repair rust damage and coat everything with rust paint. We had everything ready to put back together so we put the box back on, reinstalled the fuel tank and plugged it in. Then we put the front clip back together and ran the wiring harness back along the driver side fender reinstalling everything including the battery. This is where our problem started because as soon as I hooked up the battery the fuel pump started working and the key wasn't in the ignition and the rear running lights were on, then we saw smoke coming from the running light module and we disconnected the battery. The running light module has a gel that was pretty black and smelled burnt when I took it out. The only thing that stops the fuel pump and rear lights staying on when the battery is hooked up is pulling F6 HD/LP fuse highlighted here. 2009-10-20_224002_96_BR_PDC.png I thought maybe the ignition switch is faulty so i disconnected the ignition switch and hooked up the battery and that changed nothing, so I looked up this problem and the cause could be the oil pressure sensor so I disconnected it and it changed nothing, then I figured it could be the pcm so I disconnected it and nothing changed. I pulled every relay and fuse (except the above mentioned one) and nothing changed. The rear lights and fuel pump are the only things stuck on with no key on ignition. The pump is a 4 wire and black wire has power with the battery hooked up and I traced it back to the plug at the end of the floor/ start of the firewall and it goes from 8 wire harness to 6 wire and the black wire ties in with a red and green wire which has power when the battery is hooked up, the green and red wire goes to the above mentioned fuse. This is where I'm at and I've hit a wall so I figured I would post here to see if anyone has had this happen to them or knows what else to check? Thanks for taking the time to read all this

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Possible wire harness issue. Check the harness that runs to the fuel pump near the pump. If some wires got stripped in the repair process a group could be melted together causing your problem. Also look for any pinched wiring betwen the body and frame mounts etc.

OP
OP
M

Mandigo83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum v8
I checked right at the pump and the wires aren't stripped or melted at all, I guess I'm gonna have to pull the wire harness back off and remove the plastic completely and check the wires for any bare or stripped ones which I've been dreading to do but I guess its what needs to be done next. This damn truck is so close to done but its just dragging on lol