fuel tank help

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by reek, May 14, 2015.

1. reek

reek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    anyone know of a source for a new gas tank? This is for a short bed 75-80 (and I assume Rams up to 83) truck. I need a new tank, no one sells them. All the pick and pulls around here perforate their tanks as soon as they get the vehicle to drain them. Such a waste.

Any help appreciated.

2. RonJon '06

RonJon '06 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2006, 1985
    Engine:
    5.7, 360
    Can you salvage a tank from one of your other trucks? I was reading online that the width of the different sized tanks should be the same for those years, just the length might be a little different. Also, if the plastic tank is cracked I guess you can repair it.

3. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    maybe you could see about finding a plastic welder. they should probably be able to fix it for you. could also see about trying to find someone parting out a truck.

4. reek

reek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    out of the 3 trucks I have 2 are in-cab gas tanks and my 78 is missing its tank. my 72 was the original project and the 73 and 78 were donor trucks. now that I've taken a close look at them the 72 and 78 are salvageable. So I now have 2 projects going instead of one. Please no one tell my wife...

so I'm trying to piece together a 72 stepside and the 78 regular side (is it called fleetside?) shortbed. I'll probably have to go custom fuel tank from the looks of it. Or I could just recheck my sanity...

thanks for the responses so far.