Full Mopar Kicker Upgrade Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Hello everyone, and here is what I have done in my truck;

I finally installed the 77kick42 for front, 77kick41 in rear door and 77kick44 (Sub) under the rear seat.

What I found was the 77kick42 package with 6x9" doors and 3.5" dash does work pretty well with my truck without the Alpine audio package.

What I learned during this whole upgrade process is that if we are doing the full kicker upgrade with the sub we would need the 3.5" in the dash that comes with 77kick42 because the sub over powers everything. there is way too much bass with the sub, so the 5.5" in dash brings out the voices and the trebles and balances out with the heavy bass. As opposed to 77kick28ab, which comes with smaller tweeters which comes with low frequency bypass circuit attached to them. I mean it comes to preference in how you like your music to sound... I am not sure if I would say 77kick28ab is better for the ram 1500 or not, but what i found was both the 77kick42 and 77kick28ab works in these trucks. However if there is no sub installed, the 3.5" in the dash is just way too loud and out of balance with the rest of the speakers. I feel like as if it needs some sort of a resistor+capacitor or a pre-made cross-over and frequency limiter to actually balance it out. So without the sub I think I wouldn't use the 77kick42 and Maybe 77kick28ab would be more suitable in that case.

There was a 3rd dash speaker that came with the 77kick42 package that was intended for the vehicles with Alpine audio. I just didn't use that.

I also noticed some of the instructions were wrong in the mopar sheet that came with the 77kick44 package. For example, the polarity on the sub connections was wrong. if you follow the manual then the sub barely kicks... it feels out of phase and makes weird noises. This is resolved by reversing polarity in my case.

I found that there are slightly different packages. Some comes with extra adapter for the sound, some dont. I beleive the extra adapter is for those who have an amp installed already such as the vehicles with alpine setup. For mine with non amplified 6 speakers setup it just ties into the left front door speaker wire.

Manual states that we have to cut make a slight cut into the wiring grommet; However, my truck had a hidden nipple underneath the grommet, which looked like it was meant for this purpose. I just snipped the head of the nipple and fished the power wire for the amp through it. It is the exact size for the wire to fish through. I think its better than slicing grommet in my opinion.

For sound deadening I used hushmat vibration dampening. There was already bit of these stuff applied tot he doors by manufacturer, but I have applied some more to places that make noise while testing with different frequencies that makes your doors rattle; such as 50hz, 60hz sine waves. Now the door panel parts feel more snug. With certain frequencies though there is still rattles and noises.

At the end, I am pretty happy with the install, but the installation experience and the listening experience is totally differentt han what I had expected. This is not ina good or a bad way..it is just different. when it comes to its price, I belive we can build much more customizable and maybe more powerful systems if we go with after market equipment. I think this mopar kicker package is over priced, but at the same time it is made for easy installation, forexample the speakers come with proper harnesses, and wire plugs etc, that just click right into the factory wires. Sub is a premade enclosure and sits right into where it suppose to sit. wires are made to perfect lenghts, etc. Is it worth the money? I dont know, but I made the decision to go with this option for my install and atleast it sounds like a premium audio setup for now.

Useful tools: Plastic trim removal tools, Socket set, Philips screw driver, flat head screw driver, multimeter, zip-ties, electrical tape, patience.

Hope my experience helps others when they are looking to upgrade their speakers with the mopar kicker Package.

001.JPG

028.JPG

006.JPG

015.JPG

003.JPG

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the write-up. I'm torn between using the Kickers or the Infinity's that a lot of folks recommend on here. I have both in my Amazon wish list.

I'd really like to use that sub, mainly to remove my factory sub and gain a larger storage area under the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Does that one 10 vibrate the cab?? I'm leaning towards this route since its vehicle specific but afraid I won't be satisfied with this purchase.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Awesome write up !! I also have all kicker in my truck. Sub doors and tweets. I went 6.5 on the doors though. Hooking up new pioneer head unit and alpine power block later this week to push the doors and tweets

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the full kicker speaker upgrade, about 230 total for my reg cab express, huge difference over stock. My brother put the kicker sub plug and play kit in his 18 chevy z71 crewcab, ****** hell that thing hits. Made me a bit jealous,but kicker doesnt make a kit for the regular cab guy.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the full kicker speaker upgrade, about 230 total for my reg cab express, huge difference over stock. My brother put the kicker sub plug and play kit in his 18 chevy z71 crewcab, ****** hell that thing hits. Made me a bit jealous,but kicker doesnt make a kit for the regular cab guy.

They do have one that will fit under the seat? I believe it is called the hideaway sub, or something like that. It isn't vehicle specific, but there are a few here on the forum that have them.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@RedSRT4Me, the 10 inch sub doesn't really vibrate anything actually. what creates vibrations is the harmonics from the door speakers. Even though I applied the hell out of those sound dampening material to the doors they still rattle at certain frequencies in the song.

I have had aftermarket subs in basic square sub boxes that I had purchased over the counter at local electronics stores in the past and used them in other cars I had owned in the past. In those experiences the sub would shake my whole body and they were not overly expensive prices subs. This one has a really nice bass, but it does sound like its maxing out its capabilities at certain songs and certain volume levels.

I must say this sub is not at that level. It is a good sub, bass is nice upto certain volume level, but after certain point you can hear the hallow thump sound which feels like almost that case is not big enough for the sub and feels like the sound resonates inside it... I must say the factory specific box is the cleanest looking and space saving option for this truck.

the setup is bass heavy, and At higher volumes this setup suffers clarity and things become garbled. How ever at those levels i'm becoming deaf... so Usually I wouldnt have to turn it up that high anyways. I played around almost the whole day, I turned it up just to push to the limits to see how it handles just for few seconds for testing and then back to regular listening volumes. Tried with closed windows and then open windows, doors open doors close, different genre songs and quality...

For example on my unit I believe the max sound is at level 39... and I went as high as 32 It was very very loud but starting to distort. Normally I listen at 19-20 which is on the loud side and about 15-16 on the normal side. At these volumes it performs very good with clean bass, mids and treble. However, the max volume level before distorting is different when I play from USB or Bluetooth... also the bitrate of the song drastically changes how speakers perform... i tested with 128 kbps and 320kbps and also mp3 format and .wav format on USB also different quality settings from Bluetooth using spotify... there is difference in how the bass feels, etc. USB is much louder for me...

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@BiGMERF, I think having the door speakers amplified would make a difference atleast in clarity at higher volumes. I am not sure if the output transistors in the head unit is saturating and that is why there is distortion or the speakers are? I am not convinced its the speakers though, its more of harmonics rattling door panels and window regulator mechanism inside door buzzing like crazy before the speaker actually starts to distort. So you get distortion regardless of what kind of speaker you have after certain volumes.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@EagleChief In my opinion these kickers have the sound quality I was looking for. However, the dash speakers are the tricky part in this truck. If a person has a truck without the alpine audio... then the dash should be 8 ohms, but it was really hard for me to find 3.5" 8 ohm speakers. Regardless of brand, if the dash is 4ohm they still going to be too loud and be heard more than everything else installed. installing a component speaker that comes with a crossover would be better rather than purchasing just a dash speaker and door speaker separately.

If I had the second chance I would get the non-mopar, regular kickers that are component speakers and comes with crossovers or the 77kick28ab from mopar. Since the regular non-mopar branded kicker 6x9s dont fit the door because of their depth. I went with mopar kicker to avoid those extra work.

77kick28ab comes with tweeters for the dash not 3.5" fullrange speaker, and the tweeters have built in cross over. I think this is the reason many people actually prefer using the 77kick28ab instead of 77kick42 for the front and dash.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Great write up 604.

You now have 200w on the 20" sub and deck power on the front.
Try looking at the Kicker KEY 180.4 amp, and bi-amp the front. $200 and it will make a world of difference. Add way more power, and imaging you'd love to have.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@Graygoose, Thank You for the tip. I just googled that amp and it does look like it would be a nice addition to my system. I will do more research on it and see if I can buy it at a local store so I would have the option to return or exchange easily as compared to an online order which is how I purchased my kicker upgrade speakers...

I am also trying to find out how long would it take to ship back these 77kick42 and exchange for 77kick28ab... if its gonna be long then I would rather keep the 77kick42 and look into this smart amp option.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
However, the max volume level before distorting is different when I play from USB or Bluetooth... also the bitrate of the song drastically changes how speakers perform... i tested with 128 kbps and 320kbps and also mp3 format and .wav format on USB also different quality settings from Bluetooth using spotify... there is difference in how the bass feels, etc. USB is much louder for me...

Can you elaborate on your findings with regards to the different sound file formats and sound quality? The different bit rates and sound quality? Bluetooth vs. USB?

I think I know what you will say, but would rather you detail what you learned.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
@Graygoose, Thank You for the tip. I just googled that amp and it does look like it would be a nice addition to my system. I will do more research on it and see if I can buy it at a local store so I would have the option to return or exchange easily as compared to an online order which is how I purchased my kicker upgrade speakers...

I am also trying to find out how long would it take to ship back these 77kick42 and exchange for 77kick28ab... if its gonna be long then I would rather keep the 77kick42 and look into this smart amp option.
Returns are solely up to the Mopar dealer sadly for credit/exchange.

dlynch5412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you replace the head unit? or did you run an amp to the new speakers to power the old ones? Have a uconnect 3.0.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Graygoose,

If you decide to get rid of them and try something else, keep me in mind. I might take them off your hands. [emoji3]

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@dlynch5412, I am not 100% sure what the uconnect version is for mine. I believe it is the 3.0? I have the 8.4Ra3 I think or something like that. 8.4 uconnect with 6 regular non-amplified speakers.

I did not use a multichannel amplifer for the speakers. They are powered straight from the head unit at the moment, but I am considering amplifying them. The 77kick44 sub however came with its own amplifer that installs under the seat. so only the sub is amplified right now.

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@PowrRam, What I found is putting a .mp3/.wav file from my computer onto a USB stick and then playing from that USB stick in the truck has louder volumes. however I have a mix collection of bit rates on that USB collected over the years. Some of my older songs are just 128kbps and some are 320 in .mp3 format, some are .wav at 160kbps, 192, etc right... In my opinion and with my ears it feels as if the .wav is cleaner? and the higher bit rate songs with heavy bass like hip-hop for example or trap genre, just sound cleaner. the 128 ones sound more fuzzy lets say? But this can be how a song is recorded, etc right... I dont have the exact same song in different formats... and I didn't go to that extent to try that.

So I mean they all sound about the same, so I think its just very personal and the difference is so slight that I don't think the test or the measurement of quality just by ear is not very correct.

I did try playing the same song from USB and from Bluetooth though. I used my iphone 6s for the Bluetooth connection and used spotify premium app for the songs. spotify lets you choose the quality when you are paying for the service. So I selected extreme which is 320kbps they say... and its not as loud as the USB at let say volume level 19. I can hear the sound difference not just in volume but crispness as well. I mean it sound pretty good, but not same as USB.

.Flac suppose to be much higher quality file, but the truck didn't read those files in my usb so I couldn't test that.

There are many other factors though that are contributing to sound quality, there is way too much buzzing inside the door, behind the inner door panel there are these metal pieces and plastic components that are part of the locking mechanism , etc and you cant really sound deadened them, unless you make a big mess in there and get everything gooed up... I didn't wanna make all these parts all sticky and some of them needs to be moving and be somewhat loose. they vibrate so bad that it affects your experience in the truck. Also the pressure by the air these 6x9s create is just too much for a door. I feel the doors should not have this much bass by design.

I guess we could install bass blockers... but again in my opinion that defeats the purpose of going with Mopar upgrade...

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@604Junkie - Thanks for all the work that you've put into this. I'm currently sound dampening my QC much like @S0CAL detailed in his thread. In fact, Jack was the inspiration for my doing it. Anyhow, after I get the main floor done (doors, back wall and rear seat floor done) I am going to either upgrade the speakers much like you are doing, or leave the stock base 6 speaker system and go with a Kicker Key Amp that @Graygoose mentioned and see how that works. I may eventually add a sub, something along the lines of a Kicker Hideaway just to round things out if needed. Amazing how such a "simple" upgrade can get to be so much work!

OP
OP
604Junkie

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
@HEMI_finn, Sadly it is becoming too much work for something that was suppose to be a plug and play upgrade. I am disappointed in FCA, in Mopar and in Ram brand for having wrong and misleading information on their genuine website and cause me to order the wrong part for my truck.

When I enter my VIN in Mopar website what it shows me as an upgrade speaker is 77kick42. It only gives me this option, it does not give me any other options as an available upgrade for me. It also says 77kick28ab is discontinued. However They are available in the states and in the states they are able to see 77kick28ab as a proper upgrade for my truck... This is crazy, and it is not the consumers fault that they have discrepancies and misleading wrong information posted on their sites...

I was trying to do everything by the book and order genuine Mopar parts, but instead I just got screwed by Mopar. They are also not willing to assist or help me in anyway regarding this topic of them giving me wrong information, because they are saying I did not order the part from a dealer here in Canada. Well I ordered from Texas in the states which is still a RAM dealership. Both Canadian and the US side have excuses as to why they can't be of any help and they are just sorry that the information provided by Mopar was wrong.

If you end up deciding to go with this setup make sure to get the 77kick28ab not the 77kick42.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ahh decisions decisions. Nice write up!

Latest posts