Full Sound System Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey All! So I'm working on completely replacing my sound system. Heres all the parts Im waiting to order
-Jensen VX-7020 With Navigation
-Pac C2R-CHY4 Interface Module
-Scosche CRAB Antenna Adapter
-Kicker 40CS6934 6x9 (front and back doors)

Now i saw some posts saying that they needed adapters or something for the doors because of the windows, would that be true with these 6x9s?

Also are the items above all I will need or are there any other wire adapters I will need.

(Ps. I am doing the dash speakers in the future)

warbat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC 4wd
Engine
I believe you need a spacer for the front doors. I put the same 6x9s in the rear with no problems on my truck. For the front doors, i put in 6.5s to avoid the spacer problem. If you search around the forum I am sure you can figure out what people are using for spacers but I am pretty sure you will need one.

yes that dash kit will work on your 2011.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe you need a spacer for the front doors. I put the same 6x9s in the rear with no problems on my truck. For the front doors, i put in 6.5s to avoid the spacer problem. If you search around the forum I am sure you can figure out what people are using for spacers but I am pretty sure you will need one.

yes that dash kit will work on your 2011.
Thanks for the comment warbat, how do those 6x9's sound? And do you know if they make a 6.5 of the same speaker?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Not sure what year your truck is. The dash kit is 2011 and under right?

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what year your truck is. The dash kit is 2011 and under right?
Should say all my truck info on the left side of the webpage but my truck is an 2011, the dash kit will work as what warbat has said

toejam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Alpine stereo major upgrade:

Money may or may not be an issue to some, but for me it is and all things considered I went for budget / sound quality.
I did alot of web searching on different components, specs, price, etc...

Ordered some of the list of things in my list (even had to return a couple do to fitment issues) and
eventually came up with what I have now. Here's the details:

Dash speakers (corners): Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m 3.5" Mid-ranges (center left as-is)
Front doors: CDT Audio CL-69S 6X9” mid-bass woofers
Rear doors: Infinity Reference REF-9622IX
Sub box under rear seat: (MTX dual 10" enclosure) with JL Audio 10w3's
Front door pillars and overhead: Hertz Energy ET 26.5 Tweeters

For processing, interfacing, and amps:

JL Audio HD 900/5 (Already had)
Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP
iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR
iDataLink Maestro AR-CH2

Power distribution and wiring:

MESA AKCO 0 Gauge OFC Amp Kit
MESA FDBUQM Dual Power/Ground Distribution Kit
Stinger SHW516B-500 16GA Speaker wire
Stinger SHW512B-250 12GA Speaker wire
MESA RM6 6' M-Series Twisted RCA Cables
MESA PWCB4 4AWG OFC Power Wire
MESA RM1F2M 1F-2M M-Series Twisted Y-Adapters

Right at $2k in parts - not including what labor would cost while retaining the stock head unit and all functionality of the factory controls/systems.

Here's a basic layout of the system:

2livnyg.jpg

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alpine stereo major upgrade:

Money may or may not be an issue to some, but for me it is and all things considered I went for budget / sound quality.
I did alot of web searching on different components, specs, price, etc...

Ordered some of the list of things in my list (even had to return a couple do to fitment issues) and
eventually came up with what I have now. Here's the details:

Dash speakers (corners): Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m 3.5" Mid-ranges (center left as-is)
Front doors: CDT Audio CL-69S 6X9” mid-bass woofers
Rear doors: Infinity Reference REF-9622IX
Sub box under rear seat: (MTX dual 10" enclosure) with JL Audio 10w3's
Front door pillars and overhead: Hertz Energy ET 26.5 Tweeters

For processing, interfacing, and amps:

JL Audio HD 900/5 (Already had)
Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP
iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR
iDataLink Maestro AR-CH2

Power distribution and wiring:

MESA AKCO 0 Gauge OFC Amp Kit
MESA FDBUQM Dual Power/Ground Distribution Kit
Stinger SHW516B-500 16GA Speaker wire
Stinger SHW512B-250 12GA Speaker wire
MESA RM6 6' M-Series Twisted RCA Cables
MESA PWCB4 4AWG OFC Power Wire
MESA RM1F2M 1F-2M M-Series Twisted Y-Adapters

Right at $2k in parts - not including what labor would cost while retaining the stock head unit and all functionality of the factory controls/systems.

Here's a basic layout of the system:

I have the factory U-Connect head unit without a touch screen. 2 speakers in dash and 1 in each door. And i have 2 10" subs in a tower box right behind my seat currently. I love the JBL sound system in my friends 2014 Tacoma and we wanted to see if we could put together a full setup that sounds either similar or better, for cheaper, as the JBL upgrade for her Tacoma was an extra 1k. Ill definitely take a look through the list you made if something doesn't perform to our expectations

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And one more question i have is, With getting the Pac Unit, will i need any other sort of wiring harness or adapter or is it simply plug in the Pac to the factory plug, then plug in the other end of the Pac to the aftermarket head unit?

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And one more question i have is, With getting the Pac Unit, will i need any other sort of wiring harness or adapter or is it simply plug in the Pac to the factory plug, then plug in the other end of the Pac to the aftermarket head unit?
Any comment on my previous post? I'll probably be trying to do it tomorrow if I dont need another harness

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so I just got everything installed and the radio works great. It's features are very usefull. But my main issue is that the metra dash kit doesn't fit at all. I had to cut and trim parts of my plastic face plate with all the heat and air controlles to get it to "fit" but it's still not a good fit. The sides are too wide for the hole and the screw holes once attached to the radio didn't line up at all.

With all that said, I got it to work with a little redneck enginiity, but it doesn't look the cleanest. I'll probably look into getting a nicer dash kit when I get the money but it's not a priority.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
When I upgraded the uconnect 5.0 I did kicker 3.5 dash with 4ohm 10w resistors. Front doors were kicker 6.5” with adapters and rear doors were kicker 6x9 3 ways. Sounded decent and I run a single 12” pioneer shallow sub under rear driver seat and a pioneer 1600w D class amp. No aftermarket 6x9 would fit bc of the Window track so crutchfield said I had to use the 6.5”. I feel like I lost a good bit of low end in the front doors.

I just did a bunch of mods to my new 18 with a alpine system. This time I went with JBL club series 3 dash speakers, JBL club 6x9 rear doors and a pioneer 8” shallow sub in the stock box. I can’t frigin believe how good it sounds now. The JBL are a much better speaker than the kickers. Also from what I’ve read they are better than the infinity reference as well.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I upgraded the uconnect 5.0 I did kicker 3.5 dash with 4ohm 10w resistors. Front doors were kicker 6.5” with adapters and rear doors were kicker 6x9 3 ways. Sounded decent and I run a single 12” pioneer shallow sub under rear driver seat and a pioneer 1600w D class amp. No aftermarket 6x9 would fit bc of the Window track so crutchfield said I had to use the 6.5”. I feel like I lost a good bit of low end in the front doors.

I just did a bunch of mods to my new 18 with a alpine system. This time I went with JBL club series 3 dash speakers, JBL club 6x9 rear doors and a pioneer 8” shallow sub in the stock box. I can’t frigin believe how good it sounds now. The JBL are a much better speaker than the kickers. Also from what I’ve read they are better than the infinity reference as well.

I have JBL 6x9's all around and they sound really good. Mine aren't the club. Mine are the gt969, I believe. I went with Hertz 3.5's in the dash though. Those replaced the Kickers I had in there before.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I went to a double din in my 06 Ram I found a new factory bezel off one that came with factory nav so I had a better hole to start with and bought a dash kit for the one with nav. Wrecker charged me 80 for the part and it matched up with all the factory switchgear perfect and I didn't have to trim it so it was way cleaner. Not sure that'll work on an 11, but might be worth looking at in the future.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I went to a double din in my 06 Ram I found a new factory bezel off one that came with factory nav so I had a better hole to start with and bought a dash kit for the one with nav. Wrecker charged me 80 for the part and it matched up with all the factory switchgear perfect and I didn't have to trim it so it was way cleaner. Not sure that'll work on an 11, but might be worth looking at in the future.
Sounds like I might have to look into that

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Installed the mopar kicker speakers in my 4 door wrangler. They are kickers bottom of the line speaker, and sound horrible. I even had an amo on them.
I would not reccomend them to anyone.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
The kicker "mopar" versions are better than stock but they aren't near the quality of the aftermarket versions. You basically just swapped speakers from a paper cone to a more robust cone. No added tweeters etc. You need to upgrade to a good 3 way speaker, Kicker CS or KS. I do really like my JBLs, Focal would be my top choice.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey All! So I'm working on completely replacing my sound system. Heres all the parts Im waiting to order
-Jensen VX-7020 With Navigation
-Pac C2R-CHY4 Interface Module
-Scosche CRAB Antenna Adapter
-Kicker 40CS6934 6x9 (front and back doors)

Now i saw some posts saying that they needed adapters or something for the doors because of the windows, would that be true with these 6x9s?

Also are the items above all I will need or are there any other wire adapters I will need.

(Ps. I am doing the dash speakers in the future)

just FYI the 6x9 6934 will not fit in the front doors unless you make something to push them out a bit. The magnets will hit the door frame.