Funny Ram purchase story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Share your Funny Ram purchase story

I purchased my truck about two years ago. Thought I would share the funny way I went about it:

I needed a truck with power fold mirrors and found a Sport Crew Cab with them at my local dealership, went in on second day of the month to talk with them about it. They tried hard to sell me but I just gave them my cell number and told them to text me if they could do better. I wasn't ready to plop down the $50k they wanted.

The next day I was surfing the internet and found a killer deal on a Ram at a dealership about 1.5hrs from me. The advertised price was worth a call so I did. The sales guy who answered the phone was friendly and informative. I ended up giving him my name and he immediately said, "Wait a minute, do you happen to live up north?" Yes, why do you ask? "I knew a guy in high school with your name". Turns out we both knew each other really well. He said "get down here and we will give you a deal."

I drove down and started talking with him and his manager. They said they had the power fold mirrors, the only option I absolutely needed, but they couldn't find anything on their lot or the storage. We scoured for hours looking. They even tried searching others inventory but couldn't figure out the specific code to search for.

In the mean time I start getting texts from the dealership the previous day. They were actually negotiating with me via text on the price of the truck. After about 3 hours of waiting around I told my buddy that I found the truck and the dealership who had it is negotiating with me via text. Showed him and his bosses the texts and said that I couldn't wait around any longer. Their response was "Can you wait 15 more min?"

Turns out, they called the fleet manager at the dealership that was texting me and were trying to cut a deal to get the truck from them. Inventory exchange. They came back to me and said, we can get that truck you are negotiating for with the other dealership.

By this time I had played enough hard ball with the texting dealership that the price was $10k lower than sticker. I showed the manager the texts and said, politely and thanking him for his time, "I will get it if you can do for less than this. Otherwise, I'm just going to get it from these guys today".

10 minutes later he pulled me in his office and showed me the "computer numbers", it was some black and white program where he could input the prices to see if it made sense for them to sell it. "See this negative number right here? That means we are actually losing money on this truck." The price was $1000 less than the price quoted by the texting dealership. " I said, why would you sell me the truck for this? "Cause this is your buddy and we just want to get this done".

At this point it has been about 5 hours of this crap. I don't really know if they were losing money or not but I said I would do it. They immediately made the deal with the other dealership to get the truck. I signed the papers and done. Since they didn't have the truck in inventory yet they gave me a loaner for the day and said to come back tomorrow and I could pick up my truck. I actually drove past the dealership that had my truck on the way home.

As I was driving home the other dealership actually texted me asking if I was going to take their deal not realizing that I had already purchased their truck, from a different dealer.

The next day I drove down to pick up my truck and also bought a Nissan Leaf from their sister dealership.

Last edited:

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought my Titan in 2012 I got some pricing from truecar.com. It showed dealers who would honor the pricing they quoted me. I found the exact truck I wanted at a dealership near me but they weren't willing to give me the price truecar quoted me (they weren't on the list of dealerships the site said would honor the price either). I went to a dealer that the site said would give me the price quoted and we made the deal. They didn't have the truck on their lot but said to come in the next day and they'd have it. I went back the next day and they were removing the dealer sticker from the first dealer I had talked to that was 50 miles closer to me. It was the exact truck I had inquired about initially. The first dealer wouldn't sell it to me but they ended up doing all services on it. Always wondered what kind of deal the dealerships made to swap the truck from one to another and if it would've just been better for the first dealer to have made the deal with me.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I owned my last Dodge for 17 years and 275k I hit a deer doing 65mph , drivable but tore up pretty bad ( I was actually on my way to go deer hunting with my climber & bow In the bed !) LOL any way , I found him in the ditch , gutted him & when the law finally showed up I had the officer help me put the deer in the bed True story !
I called the wife , told her what happened , she said " well I guess you'll be going to buy a new Chevrolet truck huh? "
I had been wanting a new Chevy HD for a while Sorry . So I took care of the deer and cleaned everything out of the truck but the title in the console . Drove staight to the Chevrolet dealer drove 3 trucks and did not like any , I was so disadamnpointed! I wanted one bad ! I've never considered myself a " BRAND GUY " I've owned about every kind of 4x4 money can buy .
Next Tacoma = didn't like , GMC = nope , Ford by far the nicest thus far . I drove 12 new 1/2 tons in two day didn't like any except the Fords they wer comfortable & had more power than the rest NEXT I drove the RAM wow , WOW ! No comparison imo , nearly everything was better , well I drove a few and knew the options I wanted , found the exact truck for me on line @ a dealer 45 min away had everything except the differential gear ratio I wanted , I decided to settle with the 3.55 .
I went to the dealer before they opened , some 20 yr old opened the door @0800 and he said he was a salesman , I laughed out loud ! Walked over to the counter where 4 fat guys was eating doughnuts, I took one and said well son it's your lucky day !
I told him the key & lot # that my new truck was @ ( from their website ) and said I plan on leaving with that truck by 0900 this morning @ 500 a month or less and that big red Dodge outside thats tore all the hell with deer hair & blood all over the front is my trade in / if not , I'm buying one from somewhere else today ! Because I'm not parking my old truck in my garage again .

The sticker on my truck was 42,500 I was out the door tax tag & title for 30,750 with the 5yr/100 k warranty and a monthly payment of $495
@ 0910 !

Last edited:

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's an AWESOME story! I know it takes forever, but there's nothing I love more than making a sales person/manager sweat, as I am a sales professional. Great job, man!! Way to make the dealerships compete for YOU! The best thing you would have done was not to tell them where you wanted to be monthly or what you wanted to spend. You said "give me the best deal" and that's it. This post definitely made me smile! :D congrats!!

Adam

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I wish it was all intentional on my part. It all just sort of happened.

I am also a sales professional and respect when people don't ******** around.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
They still made money. Might have been below their cost, but there was some dealer rebate or hold back incentive from FCA that they made a little coin on.

Still cool you got a killer deal though.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What a great story! Always nice when you can poke a finger at the dealer that wouldn't deal!

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
11 deals @ the same dealer in the last 4 years and every deal is supposedly a money loser for them, YEAH RIGHT!

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
11 deals @ the same dealer in the last 4 years and every deal is supposedly a money loser for them, YEAH RIGHT!

No joke. I hate it when they say that they are losing money on this deal. Look, I'm not trying to make you lose money. I get no satisfaction from hearing this so just quit already. I just want a good deal and to get out of there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01